Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Folder Missing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 homefire

homefire

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

I have a post on the Security forum, but no one has looked at it, so I'll try here. I've been trying to remove Antivirus Action from an XP computer according to the directions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-action and got along fine until I reached the instruction to delete this file.

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS

When I looked for it, imagine my surprise to find that there is NO Windows folder shown on my C drive! How can that be? Anyone have a clue what might be happening here? How can there NOT be a Windows folder? What do I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:43 PM

You have two topics posted in the Am I Infected forum. Elise has replied to the first one and directed a question to you which you still haven't answered.

In the second topic you have made several posts which makes it look like someone has already addressed the topic.

I'm going to request that this topic be closed until your topics in the AII forum are resolved one way or another.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

I don't understand. How can they be ever be resolved if no one answers? I will go and explain to Elise if you think that's necessary--if I can find it. I thought she pretty much just told me to post it somewhere else.

I am sorry to be a bother. Obviously, I don't come here often and did not know that I shouldn't post on my own thread.

Edited by homefire, 09 December 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

This started with your posting in the Bleeping Computer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions. Elise saw your topic and moved it to the Am I Infected forum in which she asked if you had a XP CD on hand and posted "I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum". You misread what she had posted.

Edited by dc3, 09 December 2010 - 11:46 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

So...no ideas on why I don't show a windows folder, hmm?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

I would suggest that you stick to one topic at a time when dealing with a problem with the same computer. This can be counter productive and confusing for those trying to help you.

#7 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:36 AM

Okay.... I have already reported on the other thread that it is no longer an issue.

What exactly are you trying to tell me to do, anyway? I'm not all that interested in discussing a problem which is no longer an issue. THIS is the issue!

Pardon me, but I am confused about what your point is. If I could remove the other threads, I would.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

I'm closing this topic. We will stick to this topic for now:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic365885.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users