Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new modem, old router, no internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LadyGhoul

LadyGhoul

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

There was a power outage at my house and everything got fried, including the modem. the router still works fine, but i had to buy a new modem. it's a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cable modem, and the router is a D-Link WBR 2310. I hooked up everything like it should be: modem to router, router to computer, but no internet. If the computer is hooked directly to the modem, internet works fine, but connected to the router, nothing happens. The network comes up, but says "no internet access." I tried unplugging each and plugging them back in, resetting them, but to no avail. Any help??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

Could be a compatability issue between the router and the modem. First thing I would try doing is updating the router firmware.

From the website it appears that the latest firmware version is 1.05. For instructions on how to upgrade the firmware on your particular router, please follow the instructions listed here:
http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/?prod_id=2283
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

I would not be convinced about the functionality of the router, based on what you've stated.

If the connection works minus the router...I could not assume that the router is working as it should.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users