Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connected But Can't Login/on To Anything

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 missbitti

missbitti

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:33 AM

cleaned it, scanned it, swept it, refreshed, rebooted, restored, lowered security,talked to (cable) internet provider,troubleshooted galore, googled error 80048820 (thats what was coming up when log in was first not allowed),tried to contact techical support (but of course couldn't log in to them,)etc., etc. Last time I
remember logging in was to my bank on Nov 23/05 (was also the first time I ever internet banked),maybe I forgot to log out before I exited???Maybe one of the kids on msn?? Maybe a message was opened??Maybe just p*-c of x#^x!! Machine 6 mos. old. HP Pavillion Home PC. Was working fine. Got cable high speed internet 6 weeks ago (27 oct). They (phone co.) just disconnected the phone internet 2 weeks ago. Even had fast service but can see its slowing down in this last week.Nothing detected on any scans though. Used McAfee, Microsoft antispyware, Norton,.
Sites let me open them, search, read, play, etc., but when I need to log in anywhere it shows The page cannot be displayed" Back says expired, refresh, then resubmit info, etc., etc., grrr. ie Hotmail opens,sign in "page" message, UCFV, search, read, browse, etc, but log in for my mail or info or something and I get the"PAGE". Bank opens, lets me read, search, whatever, but when I try to login to do my stuff...THE PAGE is there!...Any body know which button I should push NeXt:crazy: Here's hoping I'll even be allowed to send this...I'm gathering because I just signed up that that is why i am LOGGED IN!!! OH, And I hope this is the right forum. I don't see a lot of people milling around it waiting for my (DESPERATE)cry for help. lol
Would more scans, doctors or anti spywares help? If anyone can be of any help..Thanks! Judi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:50 AM

:thumbsup: to BC missbitti,

I'm afraid your going to have to give a few more details on your setup. You said you

cleaned it, scanned it, swept it, refreshed, rebooted, restored, lowered security

but you don't say what applications you are talking about.

Used McAfee, Microsoft antispyware, Norton,.

Used? Does that mean the online scans or are these products installed? Norton what? McAfee what? If these are both Anti-Virus or Internet Security products and they are installed on your system they will be causing conflicts and you should uninstall one of them.

What browser are you using? Internet Explorer, Firefox, or are you on AOL or something else?

You should use 1 Anti-Virus program, 1 Firewall and many Anti-Spyware programs, supplemented by occasional online Anti-Virus scans.

Try some online scans:
Online trojan scanner: http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Here are some links to free online Anti-Virus scans. They do take some time to load and run and in some cases you can only use Internet Explorer, with ActiveX enabled, to access them but they are an excellent support for your existing anti-virus program.

Panda Active Scan online - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
Internet Explorer only. Requires email address. Requires Active-X components to be installed. Approx 12MB download.

BitDefender online scan - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
Internet Explorer only. Must agree to a EULA. Need to allow installation of an Active X component.Some of the options are not clearly explained.

McAfee online scan - http://www.pcpitstop.com/freescan/

Security Advisor (?) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

Trend Micro Housecall - http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise...call_launch.php
(European version, supports Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox and Opera)
or http://housecall.antivirus.com/ (IE only)

Kaspersky - http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
Link to 'Online Scan' at the top rhs of the page. Requires IE and Active-X components.
"does not scan RAM, boot sectors and MBRs, so it cannot detect malicious code located in these areas."

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 missbitti

missbitti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:19 PM

WoW! Thankyou. I'll take all this advice and rectify what I can and rewrite whatever info I should have included. (I'll try to do better next time :thumbsup: ) I've also realized that a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark is in front of the "key ports" word. It was also in front of "proxy..." but I corrected that. I read the same problem from a user at broadband but I couldn't converse w/them to find out if they found a solution.
I'll keep plugging away & let you know what progress I've made if any. Thanks

Mcafee virus scanplus
Norton firewall
Microsoft antispyware
Ad-aware se personal

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:38 AM

Mcafee virus scanplus

Do you mean McAfee VirusScan 2006? I don't see a VirusScan Plus product listed at the Australian site. I do see McAfee Personal firewall Plus.

Where did the Norton Firewall come from? What version is it?

Okay, get back to us when you have some more info. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 missbitti

missbitti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

K....Norton expired Oct 10/05 but I have windows firewall protecting.
McAfee virusscan professional, Ad-aware se personal antispyware and Microsoft anti spyware. These are on my computer not just used from net. Security says "no recent intrusion attemps, No frequent attackers. I have also done online scans (sorry, I thought it was [blah,blah] scan plus.) My browser is internet explorer--(I'm connected with high speed cable internet). There doesn't seem to be a problem with anything except when I have to log in to something. I've been trying to search for the 'exclamation mark in yellow triangle' that is in front of my 'key ports' when I try to troubleshoot the hotmail sign- in. Maybe it's as simple as changing a setting or button???? Thankyou for responding. My journey will continue when I get back from work. thanks, judi

#6 Caspian

Caspian

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:20 PM

I was experiencing this problem like this last week. Only i couldnt go anywhere. Try what I did.
I contacted the people that i get my internet from. They said that the bill had been paid. (you might want to check that) Then they said that they'd take a look at it. Then I was back on. Hope that helps.

Edited by Caspian, 04 December 2005 - 03:22 PM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

Hmmm... Okay, it doesn't make any sense to me yet but here's a few things to do:

If the Norton Firewall (or whatever) has expired then uninstall it from Add & Remove programs. The Windows firewall is better than nothing but is regarded as inadequate because it does nothing to prevent malware attacks coming from your computer. There are excellent free firewalls available. See the BC compendium of recommended Freeware:
Recommended Freeware

Is your McAfee virusscan professional still current and updating? - I'll assume it is.
Nothing to report from online scans?
You need more anti-spyware protection in your system - the recommended practice is 'layered protection' where multiple (free) anti-spyware products have overlapping strengths and weaknesses. A recommended set would be AdAware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, A-Squared Free and Ewido Security Suite.

Here's my standard blurb:
Do you have a range of anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and all the anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

If nothing shows up (other than cookies) I'll be confident your problem is NOT malware related.

I've been trying to search for the 'exclamation mark in yellow triangle' that is in front of my 'key ports' when I try to troubleshoot the hotmail sign- in.

It was also in front of "proxy..." but I corrected that.

I should have picked up on this before - Can you expand on this please? Where are you when you see the warning symbols? Where do you see your "key ports"? Is your PC conneted directly to the cable modem or is there a router involved?

:thumbsup:

#8 missbitti

missbitti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

Well thanks again Rimmer. You're awesome. I will do all these suggestions, install them all and then run them...thankyou!
I believe I am directly connected with cable company. Sorry, I'm not really sure what a router is (unless I'm working with wood LOL), but he (the cable guy) sold me a SURFboard cable modem...hooked it up and away I went....for a week! Says connected via ethernet and usb??? The yellow warning sign is
when I try to sign in somewhere ie;messenger...it says can't sign in at this time try again later or let us troubleshoot for you, then I press troubleshoot (beside # 80048820) and it displays troubleshoot connection

IP
Default gateway
IE's offline setting
Hosts file
DNS
Proxy Server
Keyports
Wireless

The first six all have green checkmarks in front of them the key ports have the exclamation in yellow right side up triangle and wireless is just blank. Thanks for taking this time to help me! Jude

Caspian, the cable company said all was well with their end. We did the ping test and I guess I'm the faulty one at my end. Thanks though...It would have made my day if this would have just corrected itself ON the 23rd of Nov. when it happened :thumbsup: :flowers:

#9 davidjovan

davidjovan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:47 PM

Do a System Restore to Nov. 20th! I had this happen to me and a system restore worked.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:39 PM

when I try to sign in somewhere ie;messenger...it says can't sign in at this time try again later or let us troubleshoot for you, then I press troubleshoot (beside # 80048820) and it displays troubleshoot connection

What software is giving you this message?
Is it a program you got from your cable company?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:44 AM

missbitti have you changed the wiring lately. Which wire does the cable company have you connected to your computer from the modem with? The Blue (USB) or the Yellow (ethernet)?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:59 PM

I agree with davidjovan. Try a System Restore and see what happens.

Any results from the virus scans?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 Elixer

Elixer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hi missbitti,

I would first reccommend that you run a full-system virus scan using whatever you have. This will eliminated a virus from the list of possible culpirts.

Next, I'd do a system restore to a date when your computer was doing alright. This may, however, result in a loss of some information so backup anything important with a CD.

After you've done your system restore, do another virus scan. This will for sure clear anything that you may have contracted, and can you be too safe?

I hope this helps,
Bill
Resident Geek

"There is an answer to every question, but is there an answer to every problem?"

#14 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

I've been doing some googling on "Key Ports" and I have to say your problem is the biggest can of worms I've looked into in quite a while. :thumbsup:

I'll try to summarise the solutions which looked even half-sensible to me, but this is problematic because I don't have any experience using MSN or with many of the solutions offered.

:flowers: It's a configuration problem.

Go into MSN and click Tools->Options->Connection
Now check the box that says "I'm using a proxy server". Now select the type as HTTP proxy.
Keep this window open, we need to come back to it in a second.
Now open an internet explorer window.
Click on Tools->Internet Options->Connections->Lan Settings
Look at the proxy settings in here, and copy them into the MSN proxy settings.
Messanger should now work for you.

- I have a suspicion you have already done this or your troubleshooting program did it for you.

Click on Start->Run and type in regsvr32 softpub.dll and click on ok. If nothing pops up don't worry. Reboot and try to sign into MSN.

..try opening internet explorer, click tools, internet options, and the advance tab. Scroll toward the bottom. Make sure the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 boxes have a checkmark in them.
If using Netscape - click edit, preferences, and open Privacy and Security. Click on SSL. Make sure SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 have a checkmark in the box

actually most MSN Messenger errors esp. 80048820 are caused by, windows firewall, norton, mcafee, zone alarm, pc cillin..(firewalls) or you could register

a. REGSVR32 softpub.dll
b. REGSVR32 wintrust.dll
c. REGSVR32 initpki.dll
d. REGSVR32 Rsaenh.dll
e. REGSVR32 Mssip32.dll
f. REGSVR32 Cryptdlg.dll
g. REGSVR32 Dssenh.dll
h. REGSVR32 Gpkcsp.dll
i. REGSVR32 Slbcsp.dll
j. REGSVR32 Sccbase.dll

- all worth a try.

:trumpet: The Microsoft Way

See - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444#...123120121120120

:inlove: Conflict with another Program

What's probably happening is ZoneAlarm is not recognizing Messenger now as it has been
upgraded and therefore is blocking it. You may need to completely remove any permissions
Messenger has in ZoneAlarm and then readd them.
Alternatively some people need to completely uninstall and then reinstall ZoneAlarm for it to
work again.

Newer MSN's seem to have an issue with the %temp% folder.
Uninstall MSN.
Run Windows update and install all available updates.
Before installing your new sparkling version of MSN MESSENGER, you should always go and do this first :
start/run/%temp%
This will give you a folder. Delete everything in there. Dont worry, nothing important. If it says a file is in use, reboot, and do it again.

Anyways, once ur temp folder is cleared, install MSN. You should find that MSN is now working.

:cool: It's caused by a Virus/Trojan/Worm

You have the XYZ trojan. Download the removal tool from here...

However the chap I took the computer to did everything he could. He's adamant the Trojan over-wrote information on MSN that could not be corrected without re-formatting.

- :) well maybe, but only as a last resort.

What you should do if you feel there is any possibility you have a malware infection is post an HJT Log in the HJT forum here and let our team of experts analyse it for you. Please read the 'Preparation Guide' before posting to:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

I've got no idea which way to jump with this - so you should probably look to the advice of others. :P

#15 missbitti

missbitti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

Have done most of what is suggested but will do whatever I have to to rectify this stupid problem!! Thankyou all a lot. I think its pretty cool that people out there don't mind doing things to help others out...just because. Right-On! I will keep all posted on progress. thanks.
Happy birthday to jackie and lost account. (its mine today too, [emoticon here]).
By the way Rimmer, I downloaded the suggested programs and scanned for spyware, etc. Some worked...some I needed to register with (which I can't do still), and A2 found some high risk intruders?? Can't clean them till I register, but can't log in, blah, blah, etc. Davidjovan, I tried the system restore probably on the 24th, the day after I got the trouble. System restore is my FAVE!! Caspian, bill is paid, thank goodness or I would have felt REALLY dumb. I still have internet anyway, its just this sign in thing. Enthusiast and Rimmer...The yellow triangle w/exclam. is on the msn connection troubleshooter. May be due to improper firewall or proxy settings.
Also .NETMessenger is not connected sign. Says I am connected with a direct wired line. I hope something helps. When I type key ports into google, the same problem comes up with those guys. Also no fix yet and if there was...I can't logon to talk to them. L8R jude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users