Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toshiba laptop wont boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mdoggy39

mdoggy39

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hi, have a toshiba satellite M40, when it boots, i get ntldr missing, so i put boot to xp cd, but i still get ntldr missing, changed out cd player, and hardrive, but still getting same message.
I have a few different bootable cd's, i hear them spinning, but just get ntldr missing, everytime.
I was told by the owner, that he formatted hardrive, but if it wont boot to cd, what can i do?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

You cannot get a NTLDR is missing message...if the system is not set to boot from the hard drive.

Go into the BIOS/Setup...change the boot options so that the optical drive is the first boot option...then try your clean install.

Using CDs which are designed for a different system...may not necessarily be useful when trying to install from said CDs on a Toshiba.

Louis

#3 mdoggy39

mdoggy39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hi, thanks for reply, but yeah i already checked, boot option is set to cd, it starts spinning, then i get ntldr message, this even after i took out hard drive, and using an enclosure i hooked it up to my desktop, and formatted it. Then put back in laptop, and same message, wont boot to cd, and says ntldr missing.
Also, I have the original recovery cd to, i get the same message with that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

Worth a look, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061122074300AACNDqA .

Louis

#5 mdoggy39

mdoggy39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

thanks for link but i cant boot to any bootable cd, which doesnt make sense, i even changed out the cd player to see if that was the problem,
So, i put in xp cd, i go into bios, and see that cd-rom, is 1st boot device, i save and exit,
and boom, ntldr is missing, press ctrl, alt delete to restart,
the cd spins up and everything then nothing.

help

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

If you removed/replaced the original hard drive...seems to me that there is no logical progression.

IMO, a Windows message cannot be generated when there is no Windows...using appropriate multiple media is unlikely to lead to the presumption that all are defective.

Does not make sense to me, maybe someone else has a clue.

Louis

#7 mdoggy39

mdoggy39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

I had an idea, to take laptop hard drive, put in enclosure and hook to desktop, it sees it, i formatted it, i would like to install windows on it
while attached to my desktop, but windows wont let me. It says can not install on usb drive, Is there any software that will allow me to do this???

#8 mdoggy39

mdoggy39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

ok here is where im at, i installed windows while it was hooked up to my desktop, then put harddrive back in laptop, booted up, and it installed windows,, but every other time, i boot up, i just get black screen, and have to unplug, remove battery, and hold power button for 10 seconds, then it will boot. Any idea what is causing this crap?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

When XP is installed, it installs the basic drivers for the system detected.

If that system is not the system in which the hard drive belongs...and you try to move that hard drive to its parent system...problems should be expected.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users