Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Heatsink Fan failing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 qtechie

qtechie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

I recently checked my temps for my computer and my q6600 cores were hitting 70-80 C. I shut down my computer and inspected the fans and heatsink. I thought the problem was clogged fans/ clogged heatsink. Cleaned those out but the temps still reach 70-80 C under 50% load or something. When I did my temp checks a few months ago it would only hit 65C under full load so something was really wrong. I then opened the computer while it was still running and noticed the CPU Heatsink Fan was not spinning as fast as it should be. It looks like it is spinning intermittently/slowing sometimes, all in all seems to be failing. When trying to rotate the fans manually with my finger the case fans spin a good amount but the CPU Heatsink fan is very difficult to spin it manually.

Time for a replacement fan or completely new Heatsink +Fan? I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

I certain would replace this fan. The price of a new cooling fan is nothing compared to the price of replacing a burned out CPU.

You can either replace the cooling fan, or purchase a fan/heat sink assembly.

During this process, I would clean off the CPU heat spreader and apply a fresh bead of thermal grease before installing the heat sink.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 December 2010 - 01:46 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 qtechie

qtechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

Thanks,

I replaced the fan only and now the temps are back to normal(below 40C). Seems the previous fan got worn out after 2.5 years.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

Thanks,

I replaced the fan only and now the temps are back to normal(below 40C). Seems the previous fan got worn out after 2.5 years.

Yes it happens.

Sounds like you're good to go then.

You're welcome and Happy computing! :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users