Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power button not working?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Domster

Domster

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hello,

I have a Gateway NV50 series laptop. My problem is that it doesn't power on. I shut it down properly a few days ago, and the next morning it wouldn't power on. No weird sounds, no fan trying to spin, nothing at all. The only sign of life is the charging battery LED does light up when I plug it. I tried all kinds of solution from all around the Internet but it still won't go on.

So I talked to the manufacturer tech support and the guy was pretty sure based on that information that it's just the power button that's dead. (These computers have a pretty special power button, shown in attachment) So I'm wondering if I can have a second opinion here before ordering the button. Is the charging battery LED a good indication that the problem isn't a toasted motherboard? Do you agree that the power button is most likely the problem?

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by Domster, 09 December 2010 - 01:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

My guess is the power button too. Since the battery light does light up, I think it's safe to assume it's not a battery issue, or a connection issue from the motherboard to the battery.

When you purchase a new power button, what exactly does it include and what are you replacing? Can you take off the current power button to see if there is perhaps any connection issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users