Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony MP3 8G


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jan.shan

jan.shan

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:20 PM



Hi all ,
This is a great site! I hope to learn alot and in turn be able to help others. I bought my husband a Sony Walkman 8G MP3 player 2 christmas's ago. I cahrged it up initially for about 4 hours then tried to use it. Nothing happens at all, it won't even power on. I didn't keep my bill because i had so much confidence that it would work fine, so i didn't have the courage to ask Sony for help. It seems a shame and a waste not to be able to use it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it working? Thank you so much to everyone. jan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

  • Members
  • 597 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

I don't own a Sony, but this seems like a battery problem. BTW, what series is your Sony?

Are you saying that you haven't charged it in two years -- not an accusation, I just want to be sure I understand the problem. In this case the battery may have discharged completely. As a safety factor to prevent problems with very old batteries, most chargers will not charge a battery that has completely discharged.

I believe most Sony MP3 players charge through their USB ports. You might have a chance if you leave your player plugged in to charge overnight (or for a day). If the battery is completely shot, this won't hurt anything -- but if the battery is marginal this might bring the charge up to the point where it can recharge in a normal period of time.

If you don't see results after being hooked up for a day, I'd say it's most likely a completely dead battery. Unfortunately, most MP3 players these days aren't designed to have the batteries replaceable. It can still (usually) be done, but it's a lot of work to do yourself, and it would probably be cheaper to buy a new player than get the battery replaced by a service shop.

Edited by Capn Easy, 10 December 2010 - 01:30 AM.


#3 jan.shan

jan.shan
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

I don't own a Sony, but this seems like a battery problem. BTW, what series is your Sony?

Are you saying that you haven't charged it in two years -- not an accusation, I just want to be sure I understand the problem. In this case the battery may have discharged completely. As a safety factor to prevent problems with very old batteries, most chargers will not charge a battery that has completely discharged.

I believe most Sony MP3 players charge through their USB ports. You might have a chance if you leave your player plugged in to charge overnight (or for a day). If the battery is completely shot, this won't hurt anything -- but if the battery is marginal this might bring the charge up to the point where it can recharge in a normal period of time.

If you don't see results after being hooked up for a day, I'd say it's most likely a completely dead battery. Unfortunately, most MP3 players these days aren't designed to have the batteries replaceable. It can still (usually) be done, but it's a lot of work to do yourself, and it would probably be cheaper to buy a new player than get the battery replaced by a service shop.



Thanks for responding,

I charged it up at first for approximately 4 hours, i was guessing, the operating manual downlaods onto the computer when you first plug it in to the computer, but mine didn't. A troubleshooting guide came with it but doesn't specifically address my issue. The model number is NWZ-E344. The troubleshooting guide refers to the manual so is of little help to me. I left it in the computer desk drawer for 2 years cuz i didn't know how to fix it and didn't think Sony would help without proof of purchase. I will try leaving it plugged into the computer all day and see if that helps, and i'll check out if there's an online manual. Thank you again for your help.

Edited by jan.shan, 10 December 2010 - 10:00 AM.


#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

  • Members
  • 597 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

If you need more in-depth info, or want advice from a pool of people who are likely to know more about Sony MP3 players, you might check out the Sony forum at Anythingbutipod.It has been a good resource for my Creative, Sansa and generic players. Anyway, just another resource to consider.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users