Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding old HDD to current PC for extra memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 20LEgend

20LEgend

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

My desktop PC has 160GB HDD with ATA 26AWG cable and plugs.
I just removed the HDD from my old PC and wondered if I could add it to my current PC
for some extra memory. But it has ATA 100 strip?/cable.
I don't see any sockets for this type on my current PC.
Can anyone advise if this is a simple no-go or is there a way around it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

There are adapters\add-on pci cards that can be purchased. If you have an available pci slot then the add-on card would be my recommendation. Adapters can be problematic and a real shot in the dark as to whether they will work at all.

When you say added memory I think you are confusing your terms. Adding an additional hard drive does not increase memory. It does increase storage capacity.

Adding the hard drive will generally not improve performance if that is what you are trying to do.

#3 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

you can buy an external USB thingy to hook up hard drives for extra storage.

they come with IDE for both desktop and laptop size, and SATA all in one package.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users