Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Define A Word Please. . .

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ForsakenSoul

ForsakenSoul

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:21 AM

Looking to buy a new CPU, but the website I'm on (newegg.com) list two different hertz. One is "Operating Frequency" and the other is "FSB". Which one is the speed the CPU will run at? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:36 AM

I'll try to clear it up. FSB=Front Side Bus. That is the speed that the motherboard runs at. If you are looking at a 1.4ghz Celeron with a FSB of 100mhz it mean a device built into the motherboard call a "Clock Multiplier" multiplies the bus speed 14 times. Does that make since?

Edited by acklan, 03 December 2005 - 03:41 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:03 AM

I'll try to clear it up. FSB=Frant Bus Spad. That is the speed that the moterboad runs at. If you are looking at a 1.4ghz Celeron with a FSB of 100mhz it mean a device built into the motherboard call a "Clock Multiplier" multiplies the bus speed 14 times. Does that make since?

Acklan...dyslexia can be a real b!tch at times. :thumbsup: I'm sure what you meant to say was Front Side Bus.

http://www.gen-x-pc.com/fsb_info.htm

Front-Side-Bus (FSB) is a term describing a Processor (CPU)-to-system memory data bus. It has also known as CPU bus speed, external CPU speed, memory bus and system bus. It is the speed that the CPU communicates with RAM (memory). The front side bus on a computer connects the processor to the north side bridge, which comprises the memory bus, PCI bus and AGP bus. In general, a faster frontside bus means higher processing speeds and a faster computer.

For example the Pentium 4 has a “400Mhz Front Side Bus”, but it is in fact 100Mhz ‘quad pumped’. This means that data is transferred twice per clock cycle, on the rising and falling edge (like DDR memory which will be mentioned later), and also transfers two bytes of data at a time to effectively give four times the throughput of a 100Mhz front side bus. How fast your processor runs at is determined by applying a clock multiplier to the frontside bus speed. For example, a processor running at 550MHz might be using a 100 MHz FSB; this means there is a clock multiplier setting of 5.5, thus the CPU is set to run at 5.5 times the MHz speed of the front side bus: basically equating to 100 MHz x 5.5 = 550 MHz. Athlon processors are available in multiples of 100MHz, 133Mhz, 266MHz 333MHz and now with the AMD K8 3200+ and AMD Athlon64 FX-51 1600MHz FSB.

Ther is more of the article if you want to go to the link I provided. Hope this helps

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:45 AM

:thumbsup: I hate it when I :flowers: a reply. Thanks dc3. Like in WW II dc3 keeps us out of trouble.

Thanks. ForsakenSoul what he said. :trumpet: :inlove: :cool:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ForsakenSoul

ForsakenSoul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:35 AM

Hmmm. . . OK. Thanks both of you. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic