Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading A New Operating System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:55 AM

hi -
does anyone know how to load a new windows 98se operating system on a laptop that once had an operating system..(right now its blank)..i turn it on and all thats there is a bunch of numbers, but there is no OS...i tried just putting the disk in, but nothing happens....and then the screen goes black and then something like this pops up...
c:\ i think thats how it looks...i dont have the laptop on me right now...please help....thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:17 AM

Hello Shrapie , and welcome to BC. If the C:\ comes up you will need to insert the boot disk and type A:\. Then type setup. If you don't have a boot disk you can download one here. It will ask you if you want to boot with CDrom support, No CDrom support, or Minimum. Select Start windows with CDrom support. It will begin to load the neccssary basic files. You should already have your 98 CD in the CD tray. This should start your instalation Win98.
If you have trouble please post back.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:59 AM

Once you have your startup floppy in the A: drive these are the steps I would recommend:

1. Boot from the startup floppy with CDROM support and at the A: prompt type "FORMAT C:" without the quotes. If you are sure answer "Y" to the warning.

2. Put the Win98 CD in the CDROM drive. Because of the way the startup disk boots this will most likely be your E: drive.

3. At the A: prompt type "C:" (no quotes) return, then "MKDIR WIN98" return. This should make a new directory on your hard drive called WIN98. Check this by typing "DIR".

4. At the C: prompt type "E:" then "DIR", you should see several directories listed including one called WIN98. If not you are on the wrong drive and you need to try different drive letters until you find your CDROM. When you see WIN98 type "CD WIN98" then "COPY *.* C:\WIN98". This will copy the contents of the Windows folder to your hard drive (which makes installation and future changes easier).

5. When the copy is done type "C:\" then "CD WIN98". Do a DIR to check there are files ending in CAB present. then type "Setup".

6. Now you are in the Windows 98 installation program and you follow the prompts.

7. When Win98 has finished install the motherboard/chipset drivers and the drivers for any onboard devices from the mobo CD.

8. Now install drivers for any additional cards or peripherals from their manufacturers CDs.

9. Install Anti-virus software, anti-spyware software and a firewall. Then you can setup your internet connection.

10. Install your applications, reboot and your done.

Good luck!

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:45 PM

The only thing I'd add to Rimmer's excellent instructions, is once you get online, run a windows update - you can still get updates for win98, tho I'm not sure for how much longer.

Edited by Floydoid, 03 December 2005 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users