Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing Antivirus Action "fixed" it BAD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 homefire

homefire

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

We spent all evening and half the night trying to get rid of Antivirus Action, and somehow the last step wouldn't work. It said to delete the hosts file, which I did, but then the one that I downloaded wouldn't run. After trying everything, I gave up. It was past 1 AM, so I just left it sit and went to bed. This morning, the computer shows a message that it can't find the hard drive, that no operating system is found. Not sure what happened during the night, but it obviously wasn't good.

WAHHHHH. So were all those hours last night totally in vain and we've lost it all?

This is an old XP system of our daughter's, so no earthshaking life-or-death documents--just a LOT of pictures. We were checking her backups last night and discovered that it is not writing to the DVD that she thought she backed up to, so all of this year's pics will be lost if can't revive the thing. Is there any hope?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Btw, this message was just a white on black line readout, DOS style, which looks really bad to me when I left it in Windows last night.

If we are indeed fried here, I'm curious whether there is any way someone could step me through a way to access the documents/pictures and save them to an external hard drive? I know there are ways to do that--is it too complicated for an amateur?

#3 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

Also, my husband found http://ubcd4win.com/ which offers a universal boot disk for windows--would that be of any use?

#4 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

Sorry to have so many posts to explain my problem, but I just now got back to this. I rebooted the thing and it booted up into Safe mode just fine. Not sure where to go next, but I just ran rkill again and am doing a MalwareBytes scan now.

Full story: Last night I went through the prcedure outlined at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-action and got along fine until it was time to deal with the HOSTS file. I downloaded hosts-perm.bat and ran it (at least I thought I did.) Then I went to search for the file that is supposed to be at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS

Well, imagine my amazement when there WAS NO WINDOWS FOLDER showing on C drive! This was so weird that I really had no idea what to do. After puttering awhile, I did find two files like that in the WINNT file, and I deleted those. (Thought process: We don't use NT anyway, so it shouldn't hurt, even if it doesn't help. Right or no?)

So then I tried to go ahead and run the replacement HOSTS file, which wouldn't open. It just gave me a window asking what I'd like to open it with. (I had to download it on this computer and take it to that one on a flashdrive, since that one wouldn't access the Internet anymore--would that make a difference?) Having no idea what to do next, I went to bed. Awakened to this weird DOS screen saying there was no hard drive or OS. Thankfully, that is no longer happening, but does anyone have a tip as to why I seem to have no Windows folder, when I get to that point again?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

I'm closing this topic. We will stick to this topic for now:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic365885.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users