Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Update Not Working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RobVB

RobVB

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:42 AM

I am on Windows XP Professional, SP2. My windows automatic updates stopped working a month ago!
When I update on demand (by clicking on control panel / automatic updates, Install from windows update, Internet Explorer opens http://windwsupdate.microsoft.com, but gets redirected automatically to www.MSN.com without checking/downloading the updates.
I tried using all the options in "Automatic updates" from the Control Panel.

I am using Spyware Doctor, Trend Micro internet security, trial version of Registry Mechanic, Windows firewall, CCleaner and Hijakthis. I did have a virus attack (Spy sheriff), but this problem may be unrelated.

Can anyone please help me.

I hope some one has run into this and knows what to do.

From my PC, if I just go to the microsoft update website, I get redirected to MSN.com.

Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:26 AM

I did not see you list a antivirus program. You should be using ONE and several more antispyware programs. MicroSoft's firewall is inadequite. I am listing several program that you should consider. You did not list your hardware, and it is important in respect to ow much resources you have. Not enough memory can cause you to run low or out of resources with all the security software you should be running. For XP Pro, 512 mb of RAM is minimum. Run the utility Everest list below to see how you stand on RAM.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home (hardware and software information)
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes

Firewalls
Zone Alarm
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:18 AM

If your Trend Micro Internet Security is current and updating that provides you with anti-virus and firewall functions. You should turn off your Windows firewall as it is superfluous.
Always use 1 Anti-Virus program, 1 Firewall and many Anti-Spyware programs, supplemented by occasional online Anti-Virus scans.

You should download all the anti-spyware programs from Acklan's list, update them online then reboot in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus and all the anti-spyware scans there.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 RobVB

RobVB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

Thank you both for your advice.

I am using Sony Viao PCG GRX500P, Intel Pentium 4, 1.6 Ghtz, 512 mb ram, Windows XP pro, SP2.

I do have the anti virus and firewall up (Trend micro PCcillin internet security 2005). I got several anti spi ware programs and utilities after I got infected: Spyware doctor (very good), Spybot, Trend micro TAS, Microsoft anti spyware, Registry mechanic, Ccleaner and others.

PCcillin alerted me that I am missing 2 critical windows updates and that is when I found this problem of updates not working. However, PCcillin internet security 2005 does not stop viruses / spyware. It could not stop or remove Spysheriff and could not remove a couple of other viruses.

Registry Mechanic did find several high priority issues (in deep scan section and program shortcuts section).

I may need to buy the full version to get rid of the junk. I will also install EWIDO security suite.

My question still remains: How can I fix this issue with microsoft update? Is this problem a side effect of a virus/malware? The redirection to MSN.com seems like the effect of a malware? OR Is my registry corrupted?

I will let you know how it turns out. Thank you for your comments.

Rob

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:24 PM

You may want to cut to the chase and post a HJT log it the HJTForum.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:26 PM

If you subscription to PCillian has expired try don't loadig AVG or AVAST AV. They are very good programs.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

The first step is to ensure that the infection has been contained and eradicated (hence the HJT log).

Once that's done, then it's safe to venture over to Windows Update and pick up those updates that you need.

The reason is that, it appears that either one or more of your problems has broken Windows Update - or the fix to one or more of your problems has broken Windows Update. There are numerous fixes available - that's not the issue here - the issue is cleaning your computer first, then updating later.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 RobVB

RobVB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:46 PM

Thank you Acklan and John.
Sounds like good advice. I am glad to know fixing the update is not a big deal.
I will post my Hijakthis log on that forum.
Rob

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:53 PM

Fixing the update is a big deal - it's just that fixing the spyware/virus problem is a bigger deal (and it could break the updates again!).

When the experts in the HJT Log forum certify your log as being clean - post back here and I'll give you more information on Windows Update and the various fixes than you've ever wanted to know! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 RobVB

RobVB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:40 AM

After removing a keylogger (thanks to the HJT forum), I was able to get to microsoft update site without getting rerouted to msn.com. Then I got an error in applying the updates - apparently my registry entries were corrupted by the virus/spyware attacks.
I sent an email to microsoft update support team and got an email resolution: Suggestion 1 worked for me.

Thank you for all your input!!!

Rob

---------start of the email I got from microsoft update support------------
From the case log, I understand that the error code 0x80070424 was encountered
when trying to update Windows XP. This error may appear both in Windows XP and
Windows 2000. I am sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be
assured that I will try my best to help you. However, if there
has been any misunderstanding, please feel free to correct me.

This error can be caused by one of the following factors:

1. The two registry branches of Automatic Updates are corrupted.
2. Some Windows Update engine files have not been registered.

Let us refer to the following steps to get this issue resolved.

Suggestion 1: Restore two registry branches.
===================
This issue can occur if the following two branches have been corrupted:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WUAUSERV

We can use the following steps to restore the two branches:

1. Click Start, click Run, type: Inf and press Enter. A folder will be opened.
2. Locate the file "au.inf" in the opened folder (you can type au to locate this
file), right click on the file and choose "Install".

Note: The file extension ".inf" may be hidden; we may only see the file named
"au".

3. The setup process will try to restore the registry branches automatically.
You may not receive any notification. However, if some files cannot be located
automatically, we will be prompted to select the installation source. Please
click browse, and go to this location:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
If this folder is not available, please choose the folder C:\Windows\System32.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

If you encounter any trouble with the above steps, or the Windows Update issue
persists, please refer to the next suggestion.

Suggestion 2: Re-register the Windows Update engine files.
====================
This issue can also occur if the Windows Update engine files have not been
registered. I suggest we use the following steps to re-register these files:

1. Click Start, click Run, type: cmd and press Enter.
2. Run the following commands:

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
Regsvr32 wuapi.dll
Regsvr32 wucltui.dll
Regsvr32 wups.dll
Regsvr32 wuweb.dll
Regsvr32 qmgr.dll
Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

After running each command, we will receive a message stating "Succeeded". If
you do not see the message, please let me know.

After performing the steps, please visit the Windows Update site again and see
if the issue is resolved.
--------end of the email from microsoft support team ----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users