Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer can't find hard drive!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 homefire

homefire

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

We spent all evening and half the night trying to get rid of Antivirus Action, and somehow the last step wouldn't work. It said to delete the hosts file, which I did, but then the one that I downloaded wouldn't run. After trying everything, I gave up. It was past 1 AM, so I just left it sit and went to bed. This morning, the computer shows a message that it can't find the hard drive, that no operating system is found. Not sure what happened during the night, but it obviously wasn't good.

WAHHHHH. So were all those hours last night totally in vain and we've lost it all?

This is an old XP system of our daughter's, so no earthshaking life-or-death documents--just a LOT of pictures. We were checking her backups last night and discovered that it is not writing to the DVD that she thought she backed up to, so all of this year's pics will be lost if can't revive the thing. Is there any hope?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hello there,
First of all, in most cases we're able to at least access the disk to salvage data.
Do you have an XP CD at hand we can use?

I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:55 PM

I have nothing. I think it came preinstalled?

But it seems to have resolved itself...maybe. I have been able to boot it to Windows in safe mode, but now have another problem, which I have posted in another thread. Thank you!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

I was getting a bit confused with the different topics you had open. Therefore I have closed the other two topics and we will stick to this topic. Please post what problems you are still experiencing.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

Thank you, Budapest--i am totally confused by this forum!

My problem now is that there is no Windows folder listed on C drive. After some messing around I finally found subfolders and the "hosts" file that I'm supposed to delete in the WINNT folder. I went ahead and deleted the file, but when I tried to run the replacement hosts file for XP which I downloaded, it won't run. Instead I get the window that asks which program I want to use to open it.

I assume that may be because it's trying to put it in to a Windows folder which doesn't exist. Someone thought perhaps the virus had moved my Windows directories? I don't know, but it seems possible, since we certainly aren't running NT. Anyway, how do I get a new hosts file into the right place? Should i make a new windows directory?

Edited by homefire, 10 December 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,066 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hi homefire, at this point, can you access Windows when starting the computer (i.e., does the desktop show up)?

The fact that you have a WinNT folder, may simply mean that this system was upgraded to XP from Windows 2000.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

yes we can

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,066 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:38 AM

At this point, how are things running, do you have any problem that makes you think your computer might still be infected?

regards, Elise

#9 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

I haven't really tried much--I was concerned because I don't have a HOSTS file and didn't want to mess anything up. Is that file vital? The only thing I know of that is not working is that I can't get online with that computer. Haven't tried to actually do anything else.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,066 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:44 AM

The hosts file is not vital. It is used to auto-redirect certain sites. You can for example add bad sites there so that they will redirect to 127.0.0.1 (the local loopback address) so that, when someone or something on your computer tries to access that bad site, it will not go there, but see "page not found" instead.

In your case the hosts file should be located in this folder: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc

However, since you also mentioned more severe problems (message: can't find Harddisk), I recommend you to make sure you back up all important data, just in case...

At this point, can you boot in normal mode?

regards, Elise

#11 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

Okay, I can boot it in normal mode. However, it will not connect to the internet. Also, once when it was left alone for several hours, the screen went black and wouldn't wake up. Not sure what happened there, but we had to reboot it. So it's deinitely not back to normal. What can I do to fix my internet connection?

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,066 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

Lets create some logs so I can see what is wrong with the connection. I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum.

OTL
-----
Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Quick Scan button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
    • OTListIt.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

regards, Elise

#13 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

Well, I saved the file to a flashdrive, then dragged it onto the desktop on the affected computer. When I double-clicked it I got the message:

OTL has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience. Now what? Is there a better way to get it on that computer?

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,066 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

Try it again (try to redownload it too). There is no need to get it to your desktop, you can also run it from the flashdrive.

If it still doesn't work, try it also in safe mode.

regards, Elise

#15 homefire

homefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

I downloaded it again, tried to run it from the flashdrive...didn't work. Then I rebooted in safe mode and tried again. Still the same result.

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users