Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to recover desktop files from HDD w/ multiple users

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Xander

Xander

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:51 AM

'Tis the holiday season, and time to send out the holiday cards! Apparently, however, our address list was saved on my wife's desktop on the hard drive of the dead laptop, but I can't find it on the rescued drive. Her desktop doesn't show up as an option under her user name when I browse the transferred contents of the disk on the new disk. It appears that my desktop items are not visible either under my user name. So the question is: How do I locate those desktop files? They've got to be there somewhere! I found a shortcut to the file but searching from it is fruitless. In the spirit of the holidays, any ideas? Of course, my wife already bought the holiday cards so I need to find this file or the whole thing is shot!

Cheers,

X

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Domster

Domster

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

The path to the desktop is <Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Desktop

Try showing hidden files ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/ ), maybe that's why you're not seeing it.

#3 Xander

Xander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Domster. I tried showing hidden files, and I tried the pathway as suggested above, both with no luck. I was thinking it has something to do with permissions maybe?

#4 Xander

Xander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

Also, I found the shortcuts to the desktop files but then can't link them back to the originals... they have to be there somewhere dont they?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

Desktop...is under Docs & Settings.

Docs & Setting files created on Hard Drive A...need special treatment, a process called "taking ownership" in order to be read from Hard Drive/System B.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

This allows the "new system" access to system files from the old.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users