Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Required: My PC Gets Restarted After Every 5-10 Minutes!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cathy Duncan

Cathy Duncan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

Hi, I m using MAXDATA P IV with Celeron Processor 2.5 GHz but since I brought it home, it gets restarted after every 5-10 minutes. What should i do to avoid this restart?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigdaz

bigdaz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:39 AM

I would first have a look through the event log accessed through your control panel if your using windows and look for any errors that show up. The errors will sometimes be linked to a services that runs on a pc and are set to restart the pc if they cannot execute or encounter an problem while they are running, this would be a good place to start.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

I would check it for cleanliness and possible overheating of the system, as a start.

Louis

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

I suggest you download and try one of these two programs which I have listed below, to get a basic idea of what your CPU core temperatures are, this will give you an idea if your problem is heat related or not.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Depending on your CPU's threshold temperature, if you see a temperature higher than 80 degrees Celsius, this would be the culprit.

Please check your CPU cooling fan for dust and check that it spins freely when it is spun with your finger, it should spin several times without binding up. If it binds up, it is in need of replacement.

Make sure there is not any dust embedded in the fan and the cooling fins of the heat sink which is attached to the CPU.

If you see dust build up, you need to remove this as it is acting as an insulator and causing the heat to remain stuck in the heat sink.

Purchasing a can of compressed air, will help remove embedded dust.

While you're at it, blow out the rest of the computer as well.

Hope this helps.

Please post back the results.

Kind regards as always.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users