Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV2010 and MORE!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 BananaPeal

BananaPeal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hello Everyone,

I was referred to the message board from your chat room. I've recently used your Antivirus 2010 removal instructions along with Malware-Bytes and SuperSpyware whatever tool to try and remove AV2010 from a friend's computer.

What we've tried:
-used superspyware thing: didn't find anything
-used Malware-Bytes: found 8 files that were then removed.
-visually inspected registry and file locations for associated files listed in your tutorial :http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-2010

The files that Malware-Bytes removed didn't look like those on your tutorial, but they were similar, av**.exe and such, so we thought we were done!

However, this isn't the case as sluggishness persists. Other symptoms:
-When starting normally (right when loading) windows complains that "The process is not responding. Please click ok to kill the process". (inexact quote, but it does say "the process" w/o referring to which.
-After this error, slugishness ensues.
In SafeMode w/networking:
-everything works fine for 5mins.
-After 5 minutes, McAfee reports getting turned off (and can't turn back on "because of an error") and then the computer acts really slow.

Like I said, couldn't find any anomalous processes running in task manager that were mentioned in the tutorial.

What should I do? Reformat? Are these symptoms similar to other av2010-like viruses that we should try to find? Is it normal for rkill to kill chrome if it's running, or could that be potential source of infection?

Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you, sorry for sparse details!

Take care,

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BananaPeal

BananaPeal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:59 PM

And there was gonna be no running of logs. I reformatted the computer.

Good luck replying to all these infected people out there! I really like the site.

Take care guys!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:09 AM

As this issue appears to be resolved I am closing the topic. Please send me (or any other Moderator) a Personal Message (PM) if you would like the topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users