Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIndows Update Does Not Work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sploog321

Sploog321

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

My windoes update on my Windows 7 64 Bit laptop will not work. I've tried starting it from the program in start but I get the error. When I go onto update.microsoft.com it tell me to update via Windows Update in start as well. I cannot check for updates.

Most recent check: 11/28/10
MOst recent update: 11/24/10

Last update : Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2447568)

Installation date: ‎11/‎24/‎2010 7:49 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Recommended

This Compatibility View List update helps make Web sites that are designed for older browsers look better in Internet Explorer 8. When users install Internet Explorer 8, they will be given a choice about opting-in to a list of sites that should be displayed in Compatibility View. After you install this item, you may have to restart Internet Explorer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

Edit: Back in a few.

Edited by dc3, 08 December 2010 - 10:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:43 PM

There are two suggested ways to approach this, you can read these here. The first two are the ones that I've seen a couple of other sites suggest.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

Also check if your system date and time are correct. Wrong date can prevent windows update from working.

#5 chrispreston05

chrispreston05

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

try this:

The first thing to do is to stop the Windows Update service on your Windows 7 machine. You can do this by going to Start and typing in "services" in the search box...click Services

Now scroll down until you see the Windows Update service, right-click on it and choose Stop.

Now that the Windows Update service has been disabled, you need to go to the following folder and delete all the files and folders inside of it:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\

Once you have deleted everything, go back to the Services dialog and right-click on the Windows Update service and choose Start. All the files and folders will be re-created and hopefully you can start downloading updates for your PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users