Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting and Reinstalling Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ldogg1

ldogg1

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

I'd like to format and reinstall Windows XP on my computer...

I've had some issues with viruses over the past couple while, and I've had the computer for over 4 yrs now and it has never been formatted... so I think it's well time.

I've got the Product Recovery disk from when I purchase the computer, and I've backed up all my files and software installation files I'd like to keep. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I need before I format (i.e. drivers for modem, sound, wireless card, etc.)?

Just wondering what steps I need to take to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Also, I'd like to create a disk image once I have everything reinstalled with MS Office. I have Hiren's boot disk... What would be the best way to do this??

Thanks for the info!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Most recovery discs aren't installation discs. You may not be able to use that disc to install the operating system.

The hard drive had to initially be formatted in order to assign a partition and the install the operating system, this is the normal procedure.

As for the drivers, you can either download the drivers from the manufacturer, or use a program like Driver Magician to back up your current drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ldogg1

ldogg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

Most recovery discs aren't installation discs. You may not be able to use that disc to install the operating system.

The hard drive had to initially be formatted in order to assign a partition and the install the operating system, this is the normal procedure.

As for the drivers, you can either download the drivers from the manufacturer, or use a program like Driver Magician to back up your current drivers.

The disk I have says;

Recovery DVD-ROM Set
Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Is there a way to check this disk to see if it is what I need? The file type is a .pqi file... never heard of that before.

I meant the HD has never been reformatted in 4 yrs... Therefore it is likely well overdue.

Any more thoughts?

Edited by ldogg1, 08 December 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ldogg1

ldogg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

It's a Toshiba M70 laptop.

I just checked the user manual that came with it, and it mentions the recovery disk, specifically says;

If preinstalled files are damaged, use the Product Recovery disc to restore them. To restore operating system and all preinstalled software, follow the steps below.

It also gives some warnings about formatting and losing data etc. It looks like this is the disk I need.

On that note, is there any good software for creating a disk image? I plan on reformatting and loading MS Office and other software etc., then taking an image in case I run into problems again.

Thanks!

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

On that note, is there any good software for creating a disk image? I plan on reformatting and loading MS Office and other software etc., then taking an image in case I run into problems again.

I have had great success with the Macrium Reflect Free edition:
http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflect-Free/3000-2242_4-10845728.html

it doesn't have all the bells and wistles of the paid for programs, but for basic disk imaging it works well, is very fast, and you can't beat the price

#7 ldogg1

ldogg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

Good stuff, thanks for the info!

The other thing I was wondering is what is the best way to setup the hard drive?

I was thinking of creating 2 partitions, once with the OS only and the other with all files/programs... This way, if I run into any issues I could always just format and reinstall on the one partition that has the OS on it.

Any thoughts?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

That's what as lot of people do, it makes sense as long as the hdd stays healthy. I would suggest not becoming complacent with updates since you will have the partition for your data and other programs, you still need to back up your important files to a removable media.

Edited by dc3, 09 December 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#9 ldogg1

ldogg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Absolutely. I always keep updates running to ensure everything is current...

When creating the partitions, what is a reasonable size I should create for the OS to run on? I believe the entire HD is 85GB.

I'm assuming I just create 2 partitions, and then install the OS on one of them and anything else in the future on the other.

Thanks

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

I would make the partition with the operating system at least 25GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users