Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jake61186

Jake61186

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

I would greatly appreciate whoever can solve this dilemma.

I currently own a Dell Inspiron 6400 (and for the second time in a matter of years) I have a monitor which is coming apart. What I mean by this is that the monitor itself is hanging on by its wits end -- that is I have electrical tape surrounding it so that it does not fall off even as I am typing this. I was wondering--is it safe and possible to switch the monitor of this computer to that of an Inspiron 8100?

Thanks,

Jake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xDWolfy

xDWolfy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

It shouldn't really make a differenve as to what pc you have when deciding on buying a new monitor. The only real trouble nowadays is worrying about whether it uses a HDMI port or a DVI port. If it is DVI then I don't see why not.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

This is on a lap top, correct?

The only thing that I have ever known to cause such a problem is unintentional abuse.

Just what is meant by "coming apart"? Is it falling off at the hinges? Is the frame\lid coming apart?

While it may be to late to salvage the current machine\monitor, shy of a major repair\replacement. One suggestion I will make is to always open the lid by lifting at the center point. Usually where the latch is. On some lap tops that have a latch at either corner then use both hands, one at either corner to lift it.

#4 Jake61186

Jake61186
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

Yes, this is for a laptop. The frame/lid is coming apart. I have done what you have suggested whenever I open my computer, if the need be, I can post a picture of what it looks like at the moment.

Jake

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

Looked up the model online. One idea to try. Around the screen, on the frame, are a series of little rubber bumpers (for lack of a better name). Under each is screw. I would gently remove the bumpers. They are only held on by a lite adhesive. Check to see if all the screws are there and snug.

Beyond that I really do not have any ideas. I use a fairly old Dell that was given to me after having been dropped. Replaced the hard drive and have had no other problems with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users