Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent disconnection from our LAN Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rsa101

rsa101

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

I have one PC under Windows XP at work that frequently disconnects from LAN and gets back over and over again. It's under sis 191 ethernet controller driver and the connection to it is very intermittent.

Can anyone suggest me what to do. I reinstalled the device driver and it is still the same problem. I checked the LAN Cable with a laptop and the signal is also strong and not intermittent at all. What other option can I do to solve this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 King1987

King1987

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

If you have pinpointed this to your computer you probably need to replace the NIC.

#3 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

Can you be more specific how can this be done? What is NIC? and how to replace the NIC?

#4 King1987

King1987

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

A NIC is a network interface card or also known as the Network Adapter. The NIC can be replaced by removing it from your Motherboard in the PCI slot. Looks like this.

By your reply I am assuming you haven't pinpointed it to your computer though?

Edited by King1987, 09 December 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#5 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

Oh ok so you are telling me this is a hardware problem already. I think the LAN is part of the motherboard here. I haven't checked that one since I am not a hardware techie on this things. So far yesterday the PC went on fine again. I do not know when this problem will surface again. But I will tell the office that it could be a hardware problem and not a software.

#6 King1987

King1987

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

No, I was meaning if you had already pinpointed the problem to your computer that would be what I recommend checking. I don't know your job's network setup, but I am assuming if no other computers nearby are experiencing this and nothing has been changed on the computer (Software) I would switch out the cabling and/or test the NIC to see if it was the problem. Also this could be caused from a virus. When did this start happening? Does it happen only at certain times of the day?

#7 rsa101

rsa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

Right now we do not have an IT Departement to really look into this that is why I alone am tackling this problem. :D How would I know if it is a virus problem how can I check on this side of things.

When did this start happening?

Well it happened many times over already. There are times the connection is going on smoothly but there are times that it is not.

Does it happen only at certain times of the day?

I could not be certain but there are times that it took me the whole day that it is intermittent. But there are days that it is working okay.

Edited by rsa101, 09 December 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#8 King1987

King1987

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

I'm not very knowledgeable about viruses, maybe someone else here can help you with that. When you said you tried it with your laptop I assume you meant you used the same cable you were using for the computer you are having problems with, right? If so, I would say it's most likely that your NIC isn't working right and needs replaced since you have already tried updating the drivers on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users