Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto Update loads suspicious files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wertr

wertr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

First posting, thanks for your consideration. I am stumped. My XP Home netbook is fine until I install "updates" from the microsoft site. Immediately I notice my 8GB SSD nearly full. Eventually the system grinds to a halt. This occurs on a 2-week cycle. (For me!) serious sleuthing shows 8-10 odd looking hidden files, some 1GB+, with strange character strings for filenames: tildas, crosses, brackets, etc. "Location" for these files shows a common element in the Windows folder: "SPUNINST". The files cannot be deleted. Only turning off automatic updates before anything downloads breaks this cycle.

As the SSD netbook config does not permit a recovery partition, my only option is XP reload. Very tedious (but I'm getting real good at it!). I'm not completely comfortable not updating at all, but don't know any different. What self-inflicted error am I committing?

Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

You need a larger drive, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users