Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many languages do you speak?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

When I look at the locations of some of the posters I often wonder how many languages people here can speak besides English.

I have to give you credit if you do speak more than one language...I can't, not really. When I was little my grandmother used to revert to a Finnish/Norwegian combination when she got really angry. To this day I can still understand a little of each of those languages - swear words mostly. <_<

At one point I could understand Swedish because I spent time in Sweden...but not anymore. I took the 'mandatory' high school French as I was growing up but can't speak French either.

College German and some practice when I visited Germany left me with some German but I read and write German much better than I speak it.

So what languages do some of you speak?
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

I speak Spanish rather fluently in addition to English.

A lot of the MRT staff here are at least bilingual. :)

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hi,

Due to life and other unforeseen circumstances I speak and write German, French and English fluently and more or less daily at the moment.
My Spanish has been suffering, it used to be quite fluent. However I am no longer using it and knowledge is dwindling.

It's got a lot to do with the necessity of speaking the language of the country you live in. English is the only language I speak without having actually lived in a country where it was the main language.

I know about 5 words of chinese, including "north" "south" and "walled city" form a history book. And I remember how to count to 10 on one hand too. That's all my chinese. :hysterical:

Edited by myrti, 08 December 2010 - 07:30 PM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

English and Japanese

EDIT
and pig Latin too in both (does that count as 2 or 1)

Edited by Martel, 08 December 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

If you count foul language <_< then I speak 3.

:hysterical:

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:11 PM

two, good english and bad english. :P

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

The US version of English -- without the stereotypical New Jersey accent.

I drove my high school French teacher into an early retirement. Switched to Latin, took 3 years, and did pretty well. Unfortunately, no one really speaks Latin these days.

I took two years of Russian in college and squeaked by with a grade just good enough to graduate.

#8 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

Unfortunately, no one really speaks Latin these days.

I think you overlooked Pig Latin :hysterical:

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

English, Polish, Russian, some German. Haven't practiced the last one for a while, so very rusty.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

I think you overlooked Pig Latin :hysterical:

I'm so-ooo embarrassed! I worked at Bell Labs back in the '80s and everyone else in my job description had advanced degrees in Computer Science and Software Engineering. I felt so left out that I bought a Masters Degree from Dr. Science. And it was, in fact, printed in Pig Latin.

I was the only MTS with a Asters-May Egree-Day posted on his lab wall! :lmao:

#11 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:04 PM

I would love to ooday atthey just to see if anybody noticed :hysterical:

#12 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

I speak English, so one, though I know an extremely small bit of Spanish.

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#13 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

Ik spreek maar 1 taal en dat is Nederlands.
:whistle:

Sorry folk, that I did that in Dutch.
I know that there are people they find it not good when someone write in another language then English.

I speak one language and that is my own language, Dutch.
I can little English with speaking and writing.
However, it is not important that someone can good speak or good write English, I will say, the case is, that you understand the other what the other tell to you.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 24 December 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#14 wkid

wkid

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

Initially I wasn't going to contribute to this thread. Then I read the individual posts and saw that this may be fun.

The useful inventory of languages I speak is limited to Americanized English. I have devoted years to the continued improvement of my communication skills in both written and verbal form.

Many years ago in school I studied French for six years. The last year was French literature, including the likes of Victor Hugo and Jean-Paul Sartre. Since leaving school, I have had no opportunity or necessity to read, write, or speak French; so I have lost all but the ability to count and speak a few trivial sentences. In both French and Spanish I can say almost any number smaller than 1,000,000.

In the Mexican dialects of Spanish I can count and order food at local home style Mexican restaurants. On the OOPS list, there is a humorous misadventure. When visiting Mexico as a teenager, I got a little bit too cocky. I had noticed some similarities between French and Spanish and decided to show how smart I was (not). At a restaurant I ordered gateau and was served gato. My memory of the correct spellings may be wrong, but for those of you not familiar with either language here is the deal. "Gateau" is French for cake. "Gato" is Spanish for cat. I still laugh about this 45 years later.

I know a few words in German, mainly food and curses I learned from Grandpa. Grandpa was in the first generation of my family born in the United States.

On the lighter side: I speak a little pig latin, but my expertise is in snake talk. It can be a tongue twister, and there are certain words to avoid. I'll give an example of snake talk. You will be able to figure out which words don't work as intended. "Snake talk" translated into snake talk is "snalfake talfalk". You guessed it, duck is one of those words.

I respect those of you who have learned to communicate in more than one language.

This has been fun.

wkid
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

English in the proper, redneck, chinese, indian, and ebonic variants. Some Spanish "aahahahyyy" and a little French "haugh haughh haughhh". :crazy:

I don't know why I forgot to include cajun since I've had a lot of fun with that over the years too. "I garrontee ayeee"

Edited by M332, 08 January 2011 - 09:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users