Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on video

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pygmyguru

pygmyguru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hi all,

First of all I want to say I love this site--wish I discovered this site eons ago!

Last night the sound of played web videos on my Toshiba (Satellite Series) laptop running the XP OS was fine--today, uh uh. All other sound works. When I try to access the volume control, a popup window reads, "There are no active mixer devices available. To Install mixer devices, go to control panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This Program will now close." So, of course, I try this to no avail.

I check the Sounds and Audio properties and the Volume tab says no Audio Device and everything's grayed out. Then i check the Audio tab and, once again no devices and everything's grayed out--same with the Voice tab. Finally, I check the Hardware tab--and here's what's interesting--it lists all my video and audio devices, and Device Status claims that all my video and audio devices are working properly--including Realtek High Def Audio, audio codecs, and Legacy Audio Drivers. So...

What the bleep is going on with this bleeping computer!!

Thank you for your help and insight.

--The Pygmy Guru

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:45 AM

First things first, do you have any kind of headphones etc you can plug into it to see if it changes anything?

My initial thoughts on reading the post it sounds as if the sound card has failed, or gone into a relapse. Sometimes manually re-routing the sound i.e. headphones is enough of a jolt to liven it up again and have it working.

Another thing may be you don't have any function buttons etc that may mute or disable sound? (I cant specifically think of any, other than the mute button, which wouldn't cause this issue, but its worth a thought)

I may be a bit hasty in diagnosing this though, and for your sake, I hope I am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users