Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you sell products on your website?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sunflower1

Sunflower1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

What is the best way to set up your website to allow people to "log in" and make purchases?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

Define 'best'?

#3 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

User friendly navigation and not complicated to set up. By complicated, I meant needing extensive HTML to be self entered

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

I don't know how to answer this question exactly. Creating a site that is user friendly requires knowledge of things like human factors which encompasses everything from color schemes to usability tests.

By complicated, I meant needing extensive HTML to be self entered.

Does that mean you want to have to do as little coding as possible, because I have never needed to know HTML to buy anything online.

There are tons of off-the shelf software you could use to set up an online store. There are also tons of websites that will do it for you. The problem with trying to do it yourself is that just HTML will not do it. All HTML does is display a page. In order to take orders, process orders, etc., there needs to be additional technology. HTML can't do that.

Is there something specific you want to do, because your question os sort of broad at this point. It is akin to "What is the best way to travel cross-country?"

#5 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

Ok..

Do you know the name of the software that can be used to set up an online store for a preexisting website? Also, which sites would you recommend to set up the online store for me?

I want to sell a few items that I made online. But, I want the buyer to have to "log in" using a password before they'll able to see the products that I'm selling and the prices. I've already created a website but I don't know how to sell my products through the website.

I hope that this is a bit more clear

#6 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

just a suggestion but i'd have the site show the products before you have to log in but not display the prices.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

Ok, I understand. SO what is your level of development experience? If you already have a page, then you will have to be able to integrate store-front software into your existing page, or be able to incorporate something like Google Checkout or Paypal into your website. If you have no experience, then your best bet is to use one of any number of available products. I don't use any and can't specifically recommend any, but there are freeware e-commerce applications, as well as commercial applications. Again, your level of experience is going to dictate your choice. You will tend to get better support with commercial applications.

You also have the choice of paying someone else to handle it for you. This might get you started.

Edited by groovicus, 10 December 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#8 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Groovicus,

I'm sorry about this delay. I was going back and forth with if I wanted to make this addition to my website. My experience level is intermediate. I think that I'd like to go with a commercial application for the technical support. Do you have any names of those applications?

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

I have no recommendations. Here is a review of the top 10 as done by http://ecommerce-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

#10 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users