Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI radion x700 se troube "-

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gazjd

gazjd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

hi all,
i bought a second hand radeon x700 se 256mb powercolor graphics card earlier today but im having no luck getting it started.
after removing the old graphics card, putting the new one in when i power up i get nothing on the moniter (it doesnt even come off standby) also the fan on the graphics card does not spin?

could this be a power related problem?? if it could be how would i go about getting more power to the gc?

any help or suggestions are great, cheers
(INSERT SOMETHING FUNNY HERE<<<<<)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You have provided information on your graphics card's make and model number, what is needed from you now is the make and model number of your motherboard and the make and model number of your PSU (Power Supply).

Although I have not checked the graphics card out as of this post, make sure this card does not require a separate power wire from the PSU. If there is a connector on the video card with 4 pins on it, it may require this connection.

I will look up your video card's schematic diagram once you post the information I requested.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 gazjd

gazjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

thanks for the reply,
i just took the fan off the graphics card, loostend it up abit and it now spins when in the pc, but still the black screen.

without sounding like a complete noob (though i probably will!) how can i find out what type of mb i have? also the psu has no details on it giving me its power?

thanks for your patience :)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

Please follow the instructions below.

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button. Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot You will see the following prompt:

Posted Image

Click Yes , then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, right-click on any empty space in your reply box and click Paste.

You have just posted your specs!

I will be waiting for your reply.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 gazjd

gazjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

here it is

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oulreMC0Ge5P9riNs5pdt7V

cheers

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for your reply.

It appears you have a custom made machine with an MSI MS-7046 Mainboard incorperated into it.

Be advised that MSI does not supply support for this computer, so their web site is not a place you would go to for drivers or other related support.

This mainboard is made by MSI, however its product support comes only from the reseller of this motherboard.

These are called OEM models (Original Equipment Manufacturer)

Here is a list of vendors who build computer systems using this motherboard, but under their own license name.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=110544.0

Can you please post for me the name stamped on the computer case front, or the name on your owners manual if you have one.

To help you, the link above lists all known vendors who resell this MSI MS-7046 Motherboard under their licensed name, such as HP... Ect.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 December 2010 - 08:54 PM.

#7 gazjd

gazjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:55 AM

thanks again for the reply mr bruce :D, yep i built the pc afew months back with some parts a friend had i think the mb is the only original thing to the case and its an "advent t9103"

also is it true i can only put 2gb max in a 32 bit os? cheers in advance

#8 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

thanks again for the reply mr bruce :D, yep i built the pc afew months back with some parts a friend had i think the mb is the only original thing to the case and its an "advent t9103"

also is it true i can only put 2gb max in a 32 bit os? cheers in advance

you can put as much ram as the motherboard supports and 32bit OS will use what it can. if you dual boot to a 64 bit OS it will use also what it can, which it is a lot more, more than you can install into any motherboard these days. the reason for this is technical you can look up the details if you care to.

Edited by yorkred, 09 December 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

That mother board will support up to 4 gigs of RAM.

Windows 32 will see\use almost all of that. Windows 64 will see and use it all. It would do you no good to go above 4 gigs. The motherboard BIOS will not see it. It may possibly prevent the PC from starting at all.

Advent T9103 info.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

Getting back to the original reason for this thread.

Did you resolve your original issue with the ATI radeon x700 se video card not working?

I read through this thread and see that you assembled a computer system using various parts acquired from various people.

Now the question is, is the PSU (power supply) an original part of the system?

Every power supply should have a label on it, sometimes the label is hidden on the side that is opposite to computers access panel. This sometimes requires the removal of the PSU from the computer case to view the opposite side to view the label.

Once you locate this label, please post the output specifications you see listed in your next reply.

This will help determine if your power supply is capable of powering up this video card or not.

Also on this radeon x700 se video card, is this a PCI-E card or an AGP type card? This series was released under both AGP and PCI-E.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 December 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#11 gazjd

gazjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:21 AM

hi bruce, it was a PCI-E "was" meaning i took it back to the shop and got my money back :)

thanks for the help, my old radeon x3 series seems to be working with no problems now so i will stick to that for now. :)

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

Glad to hear you have things back to normal again.

Best of luck to you and kind regards as always. :)

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users