Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2011 installation problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kengorejr

kengorejr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520, which already had AVG 9. Over the summer I had three Malware problems, which I was able to remove. Last night AVG found a trojan horse, which I put in the "vault." I then remembered that I could get the AVG 2011, which I started to download. I downloaded it via wifi, and it prompted me to restart. I did, but it did not turn off. I then manually shut it down. As I started it up, all it would do is go through the "Dell" startup, but then a blank screen--no Windows XP welcome. I have tried to go through Safe Mode, and still nothing. Only blank screen. It's obvious the computer is working, but for some reason will not turn on the OS. Any help would be appreciated..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:19 AM

Is your computer a 64-bit system with Windows 7? If so, it may have to do with the problem presented in this article: AVG Free Update Brickes 64-Bit Windows 7 PCs
In which case, you'd have to follow the instructions here.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

There have been numerous complaints about AVG 2011 causing issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read the related discussions at AVG:There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. The registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Then we had AVG's decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.

Edited by quietman7, 09 December 2010 - 09:31 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 kengorejr

kengorejr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

For those who have responded:

--I have Windows XP on my Inspiron 1520;

--I do have Malwarebytes on my computer.

I'm really perplexed by this, since I put AVG2011 on my XP Desktop before I tried to install it on my laptop. The Desktop seems to be OK; the laptop is not.

I've been told I may need to reinstall XP in order to get this dealt with, but would that wipe out my other files in the process? Is there another way to access these files before I reinstall?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

How to use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from your dead Windows Computer

You may be able to remove and make the affected drive a "slave". Doing that should allow you to access the drive and salvage some of your data files.
I believe most of the above information is for "slaving" with a Desktop but the principle should be the same with a laptop. I'm not a hardware expert so you may want to start a new topic in the Hardware forum if you need additional assistance with this.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users