Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run Of Of Space In Drive C

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mar4

mar4

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:47 PM

What should I do when my computer tells me that I am "Running low in space for C drive" I have done the Disk cleanup but I am still running low on space. I have deleted the Recycle Bin and have deleted any programs that I am not using. Any advice...PLEASE!! I can't afford a new computer. I am using a Compaq Presario 1670 laptop with Windows 98. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mar4

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

You have two feasable options, a new drive, or a external USB drive. A new 80 gb 2.5" is going on Price Watch for $82-+. A USB 2.0 80gb external drive is starting at $82-+. There are more options but thee ,IMHO are your best course.
If you need more info please reply.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:50 AM

Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows 95/98/98SE, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Control Panel>Internet Settings. Tick the boxes under 'Temporary internet Files' for 'Delete Cookies' and 'Delete Files' and tick 'Delete all offline content' if asked.
    Empty the Recycle Bin.
  • Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk - double-click 'My Computer', right-click the C: drive then click 'Properties'.Under the 'Tools' tab click on Error Checker

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Double-click 'My Computer',right-click on your C: drive and select 'Properties'.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:13 AM

Just a link on Rimmer's suggestions, on running a disk cleanup. You might even use CCleaner. After that run chkdsk and defragment to prevent the system from slowing down.
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2007p162id97442.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users