Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice On (socket 370?) Cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tweener

Tweener

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:00 PM

I have upgraded this old beast as far as I can with memory and graphics, so I was considering trying to upgrade the CPU. It has what I believe is a socket 370 Intel Celeron 468MHz in it now, and I was wondering if it could be upgraded to a Pentium III in the 700MHz and up range. What system spec info would I need to check for compatability before ordering a different CPU?

I'm a casual gamer and stay behind the tech curve because I always get my games a few years old - after the price drops. My upgrades have followed out of necessity, but are also usually less expensive because of the age of the system. When this one won't handle any more, I'll get a new upgradable system (read cheap) and start over again.
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

Try this PowerLeap. I have several Dell GX1 computers for the kids (Slot 1) and was able to up grade P-III 500mhz to 1.4ghz Celeron. It's a plug and play upgrade.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:52 PM

Way cool! The configurator there gave me this info:
(more than I ever could have gotten even opening the box)

Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Celeron 466 MHz
Package : Socket 370 PPGA
Manufacturer Codename : Mendocino
Clock Speed : 468 MHz
Clock Multiplier : 7.0
Front Side Bus (FSB) Speed : 67 MHz
L2 Cache Size : 128 KBytes Stepping : mB0
Trace Width : 0.25
Microcode : 3h
Instruction Sets : MMX

There is a socket 370 to FC-PGA socket 370 adapter there also, would that work with this CPU?:
http://www.compuvisor.com/incel73fcpga.html

Edited by Tweener, 03 December 2005 - 12:38 AM.

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:59 PM

It should have list from 850mhz to 1.4ghz Celeron. If you like that information they provided you check out Everest home.

#5 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:21 AM

I think I'm limited by the FSB speed. The highest I've been able to find that was manufactured for 66 MHz is the Celeron-766 MMX SSE (Coppermine-128), November 13, 2000 from the table here:
http://www.globalamericaninc.com/support/s...0_cpu_table.php
All the higher clocking chips are 100 MHz FSB or more. The other thing that I'll probably need to know, (if I can still find one) is whether it supports the i810 chipset on my mobo.

#6 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:44 AM

I guess I found my answer here: http://support.intel.com/support/processor...b/CS-007441.htm
It's probably not worth the maximum gain of 29% on the speed since it looks like my mobo can only support a 600 MHz CPU at most. If anyone knows without a doubt that this is not the case, let me know.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

It does not work like that with PowerLeap. The adapter has it's own power supply. A 1.4ghz Celeron will run around 925mhz on a 66mhzFSB system. It works. I have 13 computers at home up and running and it works great. Please read alittle more, in the powerleap faq's.

#8 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:20 PM

OK, so you're saying that I can get the PL-NeoS370 Socket 370 PPGA to Socket 370 FC-PGA Upgrade Adapter from PowerLeap (http://www.powerleap.com/NeoS370.jsp) , pop in ANY speed FC-PGA CPU that I can find for a good price, and it'll work stable but will run slower than top speed if it's designed for a 100 or 133 MHz FSB?

I did note in the Q&A section that the multiplier need not be set in the BIOS, which is good because my highest multiplier listed there is 7x. (I don't think it matters even now, because it's set for 2x and the current processor is 7x.)

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:11 PM

It will run at whatever bus speed your computer is set at. The bus speed of your computer is the chock point for any upgrade. If you can get a manual for your motherboard it may indicate if you have DIPP switches on your motherboard or if the motherboard automaticly sinces the proccessor's speed and adjusts to it. I know my Dell GXa does. It has several.
The multiplier on theupgrade will superceed the motherboard.

http://www.powerleap.com/NeoS370.jsp
http://www.powerleap.com/pdf_files/NeoS370.pdf

#10 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

That .pdf really helped - thanks for the link. I believe that what I'm looking for is the FC-PGA CPU with the highest multiplier, so that my (unchangeable) 66 MHz FSB speed will get it as high as it can go. Therefore it looks like my best bet for an upgrade is the Celeron-766 MMX SSE (Coppermine-128) November 13, 2000. Which has a multiplier of 11.5x. There were 100 and 133 MHz FSB chips manufactured with a higher maximum speed according to this chart: http://www.globalamericaninc.com/support/s...0_cpu_table.php, but they all have a lower multiplier and wouldn't get me any higher speed than the Celeron 766 would. I've found one on eBay and placed a bid, if I win - I'll order the PowerLeap adapter. Thanks for all your help, acklan. :thumbsup:

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:40 PM

I am glad you got what you needed. Please let us know how it works out.

Good luck

#12 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

Aw, shucks, darn and !@#$%&**! :thumbsup: I just got a little further into the box today and found a 66 / 100 MHz FSB jumper on the board! I had assumed that it didn't have 100 MHz on it because there were never any 100 MHz FSB PPGA CPUs manufactured. I should have known better, because the memory bus is 100 MHz, and the chipset is i810 which is 100 MHz FSB capable. Someone was a little bit forward - thinking at ASUS evidently. Anyone need a Socket 370 766/128/66/1.7V Celeron FC-PGA? :flowers: I already bought it, but instead of that I'm now looking for a 1100/128/100/1.75v Celeron FC-PGA for the upgrade. That would be more than double the original speed and well worth the upgrade.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

:thumbsup: .... just kidding. Why not go for the 1.4ghz?

#14 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

'Cause I'm fairly certain that FC-PGA (Coppermine) and FC-PGA2 (Tualatin) are incompatable since PowerLeap also has an upgrade for that. But now there's a good question - could one put a Tualatin chip on a PL-Neo/T adapter and put that on a PL-NeoS370 adapter and then put that on the mobo? :thumbsup:

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:39 PM

Call the 1-800-xxx-xxxx number and ask. That is what I did. They want to sell parts they will answer all your questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users