Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable clone w/out user files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Does anyone know of a backup program that creates a bootable clone of the OS on an ext hdd and allows the exclusion of user files?

Edit: I found where SuperDuper has a script option you can set up to exclude folders from the backup all files option -that's the bootable option so I assume the backup is still bootable.

Edited by MaryBet82, 08 December 2010 - 11:11 AM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:17 AM

If I'm Understanding you correctly, you can install OSX from the supplied Install disk to the external then updating it with the latest software updates.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

I want to maintain a bootable, updated "copy" of my mac os w my installed apps on my external hdd. So I can continue to work from the ext hdd while I troubleshoot the internal hdd and so I can "reinstall" if necessary, from the updated copy. I want to backup my os separately from my personal docs since the latter require daily backups and os/apps backups are required much less frequently.

I think SuperDuper can be configured to do both types of backup. I'll need to partition my ext hdd into 2 partitions and I've been trying to decide how big to make each one. My ext hdd is only 500 GB - same size as my internal hdd. I'm using 143 GB of the hdd, my user "folder" is 118 GB w/ my user library = 48 GB and user apps = 0. So I have about 70 GB of OS [system+libraries] + apps and 70 GB of personal files. I don't know what SuperDuper's overhead is, but I should be able to use my current ext hdd for awhile.

Does 150 GB for the OS+apps partition sound adequate to allow for future updates & installed programs?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:43 PM

The paid version of SuperDuper has a Smart Update feature that only copies new data to the external drive, or erases the file(s) that were copied previously but are no longer on your startup disk. It's a lot faster than re-copying everything to an external drive. No need for two partitions when using the Smart Update feature IMO. I use an external drive that is the same size or a little bigger than my startup disks on my 2 macs as bootable backups. If something were to happen with my startup disks I will be without a backup, but I will be up and running from the externals.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

I might do better to simply back up the whole hdd rather than separate os+apps from personal files. My thinking was that the os would be on a separate partition and backed up infrequently so less chance of a backup error making it not bootable. Personal files need daily backup - so more chance of some error but I'd also back them up regularly to optical media. May be my Windows-bred paranoia of backup program reliability. Also I'm not used to GUID and mac os extended journaled. IMO partitions are a good practice for the MFT, NTFS and Windows. Maybe no advantage for macs.

I really wish mac did multisession dvds or ram disks since daily backups to optical media w/ weekly backup to ext hdd is what really worked for me in the past. Keeping an ext hdd connected to my computer puts it at risk for power surge/brown out/knock it over/spill something on it problems and having to plug it in and unplug it daily means I'm more likely to skip backups.

IMO neither mac nor pc provide users w/ adequate backup options by not using optical media to its potential. All those optical burners ought to be useful for more than music/video burning. In 2011 we ought to be able to do reliable, multisession DVD/DVD_DL data backups and have drag & drop to optical media functionality. With winXP & Nero I did have reliable multisession DVD BUs for awhile, but after a lot of updates I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out if a problem was w/ WinXP, Nero or the hardware. RAM disc and packet-writing drag & drop never worked w/ Nero on WinXP.

Time Machine is great for part of a backup plan, but it doesn't give you off-site storage and any hdd can die at any time. Per personal experience, I know limiting my backup to a single ext hdd is inadequate. Optical media proved more reliable than zip disk and I can keep BUs in my security box at the bank. Online storage has capacity and speed limitations, plus I have questions about security and future access.

If I do a whole hdd backup then I ought to do two rotating backups - checking the latest bu's bootability before backing up to the other backup. But w/ daily bu's that'll get old fast. I ought to have the 2 backups on separate ext hdds. I read after I bought it that the little portable ext hdds like my LaCie Rugged tend to have more problems than the larger ext hdds so I probably ought to get a 2nd ext hdd when finances permit. I could keep the Rugged attached to ensure daily backups and use the 2nd ext hdd for weekly, unplug when finished backups. Then if a surge fried both the internal hdd and the Rugged I'd only lose a week at the most.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

You might want to investigate CrashPlan, they have several backup options.
You can backup to another computer running Crashplan, either local or remote.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

Thanks davidanders,

I looked at Crashplan - I might use their 1 computer/unlimited online storage plan when I feel like I know the right questions to ask about using online storage. I'm nervous about having my data on some unknown computer(s) in an unknown country, but I do need to have a better system for offsite backup storage. Getting dvds to my bank security box is hard for me. Unfortunately, I don't have any family/friend computers I could back up to.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users