Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Reinstall - No internet connection

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 amber8949

amber8949

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

I have an eMachines W3050 that I bought back in 2005. Earlier this year it was hit by a ton of viruses. I tried everything I could to get rid of them and then it just stopped working one day. I then switched to an older computer and put that one on the back burner. Now I've been trying my luck at getting the W3050 up and running again. So here's my situation.

Over the weekend I found an XP disc that my uncle burnt for me. I successfully reinstalled Windows and to my surprise it runs like a dream -- except for the main purpose of my computer being gone -- the internet!

The only access I have for the internet now is at my place of work. So I have limited time and resources to try to find out what's wrong with it. I did the whole thing where you search for the yellow question mark in the disk management place. This is what I found:

Other Devices

|- multimedia audio controller
|- other PCI Bridge Device
|- PCI Simple Communications Controller
|- SM Bus Controller

I know a little bit about computers but this has me thrown for a loop. I don't know what those mean... I'm mainly concerned about getting my internet back.

I contacted eMachines chat support and they basically told me they didn't have anything for that and I would need to contact "Pay suport" I think they said. I found a driver for the modem. I've got it on a disk, just waiting to see if this will even work on my computer. Am I going in the right direction? Is that what I needed to download? I'm totally new to installing this stuff so I just need some guidance and support for what I am doing. What else should I download for it? Thanks to everyone in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

Did you load the drivers?

Drivers for Modem and Care Reader.

Edited by dc3, 08 December 2010 - 10:19 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hello Amber8949,

I've looked up the specifications for your computer and they are as follows:

Specifications
CPU : AMD Sempron™ 3000+ Processor
(512KB L2 cache, 2GHz, 333MHz FSB)
Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Monitor : Includes eMachines® 17" CRT (eView™ 17F3)
(16" Viewable, 0.25mm dot pitch)
Chipset : NVIDIA® nForce™ 2 chipset
Memory : 512MB DDR (1 × 512MB) PC2700
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive : 80GB HDD (7200rpm)
Optical Drive : 16x DVD±RW, Multi Format Double Layer
Media Reader : 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Micro Drive, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Multimedia Card, USB 2.0)
Video : NVIDIA® GeForce®™ MX Graphics
64MB shared video memory
Sound : 6-Channel AC '97 Audio
Network : 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN
Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals : Standard multimedia keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Ports/Other : 7 USB 2.0 (2 in front, 4 in back, 1 in Media Reader), 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2 (keyboard and mouse)
Dimensions : 14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16"D
Weight : 22.5 lbs (PC only, no packaging)

Now, Knowing what all is in the computer helps find what you need to fill in the "Driver issues" you are having. The most important thing that helps us in finding what you need is: "Chipset : NVIDIA® nForce™ 2 chipset"

So from that information we now know that your computers motherboard is based on Nvidia Technology.

The drivers you are looking for are located here.

When installing these drivers, I would not recommend installing the Nvidia Network management tools version 4.42. This normally includes a software firewall which can be annoying once installed. Once the installer finishes on your computer, reboot and you should now have all drivers installed on your computer.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 amber8949

amber8949
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

DC3 - Yes I downloaded the driver for the modem that is listed there. I have to wait until I get home to see if it works. But I think I will also try what techextreme has given me. I will keep you all posted. Thanks!!!!

#5 amber8949

amber8949
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

I downloaded the driver from the emachines website and also downloaded the link that you gave me. When it installed it brought up the internet connection (the two blue boxes) in my taskbar. However, I turn on my DSL box and still no light on the LAN and no internet connection. Have I done something wrong? What do you suggest?

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hi amber8949,

Do you still see these in the device manager?

|- multimedia audio controller
|- other PCI Bridge Device
|- PCI Simple Communications Controller
|- SM Bus Controller

If you do, then we will need to find out a little more information about your computer and will have to "dig" for it.

If not, then we should be able to get you back on the internet.

Also, when you say "DSL box" do you mean your DSL modem or do you have a router of some kind?

Edited by techextreme, 09 December 2010 - 10:40 AM.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 amber8949

amber8949
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

It shows nothing "in yellow" on the Device Manager... I thought that was a good sign, especially when my internet connection seemed to pop up. But like I said, it won't connect. It says "unplugged", but I triple checked and it is plugged in. My DSL box is just a little modem. It has the 4 yellow lights, which the only one not lighting up is the "LAN" line. So is there hope?

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

You may want to try another network cable.

Might you have the make and model of your DSL box?
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#9 amber8949

amber8949
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

That is what I thought was wrong at first... was the cable. But I had another one, brand new, and it still didn't work. I don't know the make or anything of it. Suggest I contact the phone company?

#10 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

Not yet.

If you can get the model number and manufacturer of the modem we may be able to figure it out.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#11 amber8949

amber8949
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

It's actually a router from what the box says. (I thought it was a modem, shows what I know lol). It's Comtrend, Model CT 5071S My link

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Ok. I would suggest rebooting that modem/router and once again try to get on the internet again.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#13 amber8949

amber8949
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

I unplugged it... unhooked all of the wires, returned them back to their spots and turn it back on again but it stays the same way - no LAN light -- not connection... :wacko:

#14 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Have you installed any software ( antivirus or anything else ) on this computer yet?

Go into Device Manager and click the plus next to "Multi-Function Devices" ( if it is there ) and also the plus next to "Network Adapters".

Tell me what is listed under each please.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#15 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections. Make sure Local Area Connection says "Enabled"
If it doesn't, right click on it and select enable.

If it is enabled, right click on it and select "properties" and let us know what that window says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users