Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep Getting Blue Screen At Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Mason

Ken Mason

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

I'm the IT Manager for a medium sized retail clothing store. I work at the Home Office.
There is a warehouse that I have to support as well. At this warehouse is where I'm having issues with getting a BSOD at start up.
When I take the computer back to my office, I plug everything in, turn the PC on, and it boots up with no problems.
I take it back to the warehouse, plug everything up, turn it on, and right after the Windows XP splash screen. BAM BSOD.
I then unplugged everything which was just a label printer, monitor, network cable, kybrd, and mouse. I then turn it on, wait 1-2 minutes, then plug in the monitor, and magically it's at the logon screen. Soon after I plug in just the keyboard, I log in, and a few seconds later there it is.....BSOD.

This is a machine that I have reimaged, ran a virus scan, and everything is fine. I take it back to my office. Plug it in. No Problems. I take it to the warehouse, and BSOD.
Now the computer I'm using is a Dell PC running XP Pro w/ 1gb of RAM. Now this isn't the only computer I've had this happen to at this location.
So as you may see, I'm a little stumped. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as my boss has a very tight budget, and I can't buy as freely as I need.

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2010 - 09:58 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

If the system works normally at one location...and not another...I would guess that it's a power issue of the location where the system does not function properly.

Just a wild guess...

Louis

#3 Ken Mason

Ken Mason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

Your guess is probably right. There is a power strip (6 or 8 plug)that has everything plugged into it. I'll try replacing the power strip to see if that helps. And just as I suspected it, I brought the computer back, plugged it in and it powered up with no problems. Took it home, it powered up with no problems. So I'll see what happens after changing the power strip.

#4 Ken Mason

Ken Mason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

I think I've finally figured it out. So I bring the PC back to the warehouse, I replaced the power strip with a new one, and replaced the kybrd and mouse and connected it to a PS/2 to USB cable. Booted it up and no problems. So it had to be between the kybrd/mouse and or power strip. I was slighty condensed for time so I wasn't able to replace one at a time. So just something to keep in mind for next time. This is the first time I've seen a weird issue like this in my 12 yrs of IT.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

Glad you were able to solve it...if we stop to consider the number of variables that can impact a system, it's a wonder (IMO) that they are as reliable as they are :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users