Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop HDD Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 atre

atre

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

I have a Acer 4736 Laptop which has a 320 GB Western Digital HDD. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium
Yesterday i got an error (out of the blue) saying there were issues with the HDD and a 'HDD Diagnostic' program opened up along with a number of error dialogue boxes.

The error boxes were

1. There is an error on your HDD and your data is at a risk
2. There is low memory ( My laptop has 3 GB ram installed)

Simultaneously, the 'HDD Diagnostic' program ran a defragmentation test and reported the following errors. At around the same time 'MY DOCUMENTS' folder in C Drive went missing.
I have attached the screen shot of the diagnostics tool and the errors reported. Also, the tool prompts me to 'Purchase and Activate "DefragHDDrepair" tool.

I tried to restore the windows 7 MBR and used this tutorial but the problem still seems to be there. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

What am i supposed to do now. Is it a Permanent Hardware Failure (which means i will have to replace the HDD) or will formatting my hard drives solve the issue.

HELP..

EDIT : The 'My Document Folder' which went missing is BACK now. But the HDD Diagnostic tool which has taken a place in my notification area still shows the 5 errors.
Also, my computer has started behaving randomly, the explorer.exe restarts randomly and an error dialogue box pops up saying my system doesn't have enough memory and prompts a restart.

Attached Files

Edited by atre, 08 December 2010 - 09:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

Hello atre and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

It appears to me like you have a program that is NOT a good one! Meaning this is ROUGE / MALWARE infested program with a possible virus attached!

I suggest you get rid of this program ASAP!

Please read this Bleepingcomputer link below about this program, which is on the web under several different names, but it is the same BAD program.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-hdd-plus

If you really need a legitimate hard drive diagnostic program, the one from Acer is the one to run.

Please check the disks that came with the notebook for this diagnostic software.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 December 2010 - 05:49 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 atre

atre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

Hey, Thanks a lot for your help.

the problem seems to have rectified and my computer is working fine now.

I can heave a sigh of relief, thanks again for your help. i am really grateful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users