Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Display Behaviors; Insufficient Memory Messages

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jreynolds2

jreynolds2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:30 AM

Hello:

My desktop is only 3 months old, but has XP.

For the last three weeks, it has been doing the following:

1. Corruption of display

I use mostly MS Word and IE. Title bars and menu bars of these program start to appear a bit distorted. Some areas appear black, transparent or semi-transparent, etc. Text sometimes does not appear. Sometimes text appears that does not belong there. Sometimes text inside of Word documents disappears, changes sizes, etc. Sometimes all text disappears (including "start" on the start button).

Over time, it seems to be getting worse. Today, my entire desktop background turned into a colorful "TV static" image. Random dot pattern, and this pattern appeared in some parts of MS Word.

2. "Insufficient memory" messages.

Occasionally and intermittently:

Something like (in Word) "insufficient memory to display a font."
When trying to save or copy "Insufficent memory" or similar errors appear that should not.

These problems always resolve when I restart the machine, but inevitably return within a few hours of use.

Avira Anti-Vir reported some problem "unable to load" a .dll file, I think. I re-installed it, and that has not since recurred.

Avira and AntiMalwareBytes scans show no problems.

I cannot think of what change I may have made to the system. It possibly coincides with installing uTorrent.

I have some saved copies of the registry going back since the system was new (created by Ccleaner). I have not yet tried reverting to an earlier registry configuration.

System:
XP Pro Version 2002 SP3
Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz

3GB RAM
Physical Address Extension

Any help or ideas appreciated.

I don't see a way to attach files to this message, but I have some screenshots and copies of error message output. Is there a way for me to send it?
Jim

Edited by jreynolds2, 08 December 2010 - 05:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users