Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows And Certain Programs Dont Recognize I Have A Dvd Burner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bimbim18

bimbim18

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:29 PM

for a while now I have had problems with my CD burner (with it not burning), it 1st started about April and I thought it was my CD burner, btw windows kept telling me I didnt have a cd burner), a few months go by and I finally order a DVD burner and I am so happy it worked ... for a day or so, but after a few more months I get a suggestion to try different software, and I did and it works... but only for certain programs though. I still cant figure it out and it is frustrating because sometime i want to use other programs to burn because itll be much easier or sometimes it just wont be what i want to do when i'm burning. out of curiosity i slapped my CD burner and it also works with the newer programs so instead of slapping band aids on it again I seriously just want to fix the real problem because its causing me enough headaches and i can see more probably coming down the line.

-My hardware device manager recognizes the name as samsung_dvd_burnerXXXX
-When i try just about anything it says (I do not have an available DVD burner)
-When I try the function check (dont remember real name off hand) in device manager it says 'device is working properly'

Will burn with:
Alcohol 120%
Nero 6.6

Will not burn with:
NTI CD Maker
Itunes
Windows media player
default windows burning apps

would a re-install of windows help (its something I really dont want to do since my only option is to re-install WINxp on top of the pre-existing one since my backup HD isnt big enough to back everything up and Id rather do clean installs, and that will cause headaches since Im in Iraq and dont have internet access for my computer for updates, patches, etc.... this is a public one)

any ideas what it could be? or what may help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:00 PM

Go start/control panel/ task manager/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager. Look under dvd/cd rom drives. Does the drive have a yellow or red mark against it?

Try uninstalling the device by right clicking and choosing uninstall. Reboot the computer and let windows find the "new" device and install the drivers for it.

If that doesn't work, go to the manufacturer's web-site and see if there are updated drivers for the drive.

#3 bimbim18

bimbim18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:16 PM

Go start/control panel/ task manager/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager. Look under dvd/cd rom drives. Does the drive have a yellow or red mark against it?

Try uninstalling the device by right clicking and choosing uninstall. Reboot the computer and let windows find the "new" device and install the drivers for it.

If that doesn't work, go to the manufacturer's web-site and see if there are updated drivers for the drive.

i've tried all that already. no red/yellow marks, i've uninstalled/reinstalled it several times, and the manufacturer web site doesnt seem to have anything newer than 2002 (and its mostly win2k*Grinler drivers im guessing because XP is supposed to already have the drivers)

btw all of the above goes for both the Liteon CD burner and the samsung dvd burner

I'm at a complete loss for almost half a year with this and its frustrating as heck :thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:35 AM

Check your BIOS to make sure the two optical drives are detected correctly. Power off the PC, disconnect the optical drives, power on and enter the BIOS. Under IDE devices set the Primary Slave, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave to 'Auto' then exit saving settings. Power off and plug the drives in again, power on and look in the BIOS - you should see the correwct manufaturers name and some numbers realting to the model in the two optical drive positions. If not you need to check your jumper settings and your IDE cable.

Where do you have the drives connected? Both on the same IDE cable or one on the cable shared with the hard drive (assuming you have an IDE hard drive)? It is possible the secondary IDE channel on your motherboard is faulty - try moving one of the drives to the primary channel.

Search for a diagnostic that will test your CDROM drives e.g. Sisoft SANDRA or Fresh Diagnose. There are probably better ones available.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 bimbim18

bimbim18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:46 AM

hmm, I have my jumpers set right (on the same channel though since my HDD is too far away to put one drive on the same channel as my HDD)

I've tried the uninstall/autodetect/reinstall drives method...... no effect, same problems come back.

also put in new IDE cables,

I tried a diagnostic utility (thought it was Sisoft Sandra but dont remember, it was 1/2 a year ago) and it said there was nothing wrong.

if there is something wrong with my MoBo would it cause these problems? how would I check this?

I do appreciate your suggestions though

does anyone know of a better diagnostic program than Sandra?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:21 AM

You can check your motherboard for "busted caps" - there have been reports of bad capacitors on the web for a while.

This link will give some details: http://badcaps.com/ident/

Another option is a repair install of Windows (although I'm not sure how much it would help). Here's a link for a "how-to": http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

Ideas:
  • Check the DMA settings of the optical drives in Device Manager. (Go to Control Panel. Double click the 'System' icon. Click the Hardware tab. Click the Device Manager button. You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.) DMA should be enabled.
  • Check the motherboard manufacturer OR chipset manufacturer for IDE drivers (or UATA drivers) download the latest one(s) available for XP (regardless of whether you think XP has later drivers) and install them.
  • Does the DVD burner operate correctly on it's own on that IDE channel? Maybe your CD burner is the problem? (wouldn't be the first).
hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users