Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder locking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

I'm trying to find a good free solution that will allow me to just LOCK a single folder. If possible, I want to avoid using a Microsoft product too, and I don't want something that is going to also encrypt the files that are inside the folder (it would be ok if that's included in the program but is something I can opt out of).

My situation is that I have a laptop at home that I do a lot of my work on, and I want to sync it with the computer at my school that I have to share with others. I've had a problem with some co-workers stealing my files from that computer. I have found a good solution for the sync (a service called Dropbox) that places a single folder on the computer that is synced with the same folder on my other computer. But now I also need to LOCK that synced folder on the computer at my workplace. The way Dropbox works, if that folder is locked, it' ok but just doesn't sync until you open the folder with the password. But as soon as you open the folder, it will sync. However, if the files inside are also encrypted (which changes the original file), then Dropbox detects that these are new files and deletes the originals, replacing them with the new encrypted files. That's a level of security I don't need or want.

So now I'm trying to find some kind of program that will just let me lock this one single folder.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2010 - 08:37 AM.
Moved from XP forum to All Other Appliclations ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

Have you considered zipping, and password protecting it?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:49 AM

Have you considered zipping, and password protecting it?

The way the sync program works, it syncs files individually and is able to quick-check to see if a file hasn't changed and thus ignore it -- the result is that sync time is short and sweet. There would be hundreds of files in this folder. Without zipping, the sync program (it's called Dropbox) quickly syncs just a few files that have changed and I'm ready to go. If ALL those files were zipped up together, then it would basically be forced to replace this one giant zip file from scratch every time it synced, which would take a heck of a long time. So that wouldn't be a very workable solution for what I want to use this for.

I had thought of making the folder hidden -- and that might work ok except that in most programs the most recent files are displayed (such as in Word) inside the program, which would be an instant and easy way for the thief to find the hidden folder. Also, if he searched in Windows Explorer using wildcards, he'd easily find my folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users