Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista -> Errors happening, C drive not recognised by key programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Majin1983

Majin1983

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hello,
I am relatively new to this website, but I have found that the best advise has come from here, so I was hoping someone could aid me with a major problem I have at the moment. Also, I apologise if this is not the correct place to post, but I am not entirely sure what the problem is.

I recently had a malware infection (Win Defrag), to which to combat i followed instructions I found here and used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to hunt down the program. Unfortunately, I was unable to get it to be cleansed completely using MAM, so I deleted the files which it was suggested was involved with the malware.

Since then, I have had issues with the computer: IT works, but after a while an error appears involving svchost.exe. Unfortunately, I was unable to save the error specifically, so I cant give it to you, but the end result is that the OS fails to register that I am an administrator and says that I lack the privilages when I try to access administrator only programs.

I tried to solve this, but as I went through the various solutions, I stumbled across a rather disturbing one. My disk drive is partitioned into 2 drives; c and d. Windows explorer, disk defragmentation tool and DOS all see that there are these 2 drives present. I can access programs and run software off of them without much difficulty (the usual for vista). But when I try to repair windows, check device manager or disk manager; neither c nor d drives appear.

With the Disk manager, I can see the DVD drive I have (e:) present, but otherwise, it doesnt realise that there are 2 other partitioned drives on the computer.
With Device manager, I cannot find the 'disk drive' nor the driver for the c drive. The rest of the drivers are present (as far as I can tell), but I am rather baffled as to why the c and d drives are missing.

before anyone can ask for direct information though, I do have some bad news. My laptop was purchased in Japan (I was there for 4 years, hoping for long term employment...didnt work out), so the OS is all in Japanese. fortunately, the core programming is the same as the english version, but the information is all in japanese. This prevents me from being able to send the laptop to outside help with ease, so i have to turn to a forum like this for guidance.

I am sorry to beg, but I really need help. the computer contains all my important work files and job related info, so if it goes caput, I am in a lot of trouble. I appreciate anyone who can help me. Thank you for reading this far.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400, Intel®Core™ 2 CPU 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 32bt. Using Windows Vista 32 Home Premium, Vista Service pack 1 & 2 installed. I also have Avast! version 5, doing full protection and scans.

Majin83

(edit: sorry, midnght RP failure, so in black mood, but managed to remember)

Edited by Majin1983, 07 December 2010 - 11:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Majin1983

Majin1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

I am sorry to respond before anyone can give me any advice, but I am rather desperate for something. My laptop is still running strangely and I would desperately like to be able to clean it up with a Vista Upgrade installation.

Sadly, whilst Disk and Device Manager's do not recognise the drive installed, I cannot do that, so I ask again:

Can anyone please help me?

I have tried updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and redoing a full scan, but I dont get anything. I also tried to scan with Avast! and I also did a boot scan, though while that managed to uncover a number of virus's and malware programs I wasnt aware of, but that has not helped my predicament much. In fact, the first time I logged onto windows after the boot scan, I was informed my windows edition was a fraud and I had to contact windows asap...gave me the shock of my life. However, I restarted immidiately and windows activated without that particular error, so I have a little hope.

If I have presented my case in the wrong fashion, please tell me where I am going wrong so I could correct my error and get some help? Thank you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

<<I recently had a malware infection (Win Defrag), to which to combat i followed instructions I found here and used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to hunt down the program. Unfortunately, I was unable to get it to be cleansed completely using MAM, so I deleted the files which it was suggested was involved with the malware.>>

Well...following instructions provided someone else for a specific malware situation...is never a good idea, IMO...unless you are following a prescribed guide for a specific malware item. The instructions provided different users with different systems...may vary.

Let's try the Am I Infected forum, for a deeper look :). I'm moving this from Vista.

Louis

#4 Majin1983

Majin1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Thank you very much for moving the topic. I am not sure if i will get any responce, but I am grateful to you for helping me at least.

#5 Majin1983

Majin1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:37 AM

Ok, to add a little more info;

I managed to get some information from the windows error report and i was informed that I should check my windows updates to see if I had corrupt or incomplete updates. Unfortunately, have had a problem for a while now that I cannot update using windows update, i get an error log 80072EFE. I am not entirely sure what it means, but browsing around has informed me that 1 method of curing the problem is to uninstall the various windows updates I have and then reinstalling them one by one, but I am unsure how wise that course of action would be.

Edited by Majin1983, 11 December 2010 - 06:25 AM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

My disk drive is partitioned into 2 drives; c and d. Windows explorer, disk defragmentation tool and DOS all see that there are these 2 drives present. I can access programs and run software off of them without much difficulty (the usual for vista). But when I ... check device manager or disk management; neither c nor d drives appear.

This is most likely the result of a rootkit. Please see the following link for other examples of the situation:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic318229.html

You will need some expert assistance to deal with the issue, so please follow the instructions in the
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

When you have done that, post your log in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum", NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team experts.

Please let us know, here, if you have been able to successfully start your new topic.

Edited by AustrAlien, 11 December 2010 - 09:03 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users