Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hard drive install.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drg3824

drg3824

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

I just realized that the new hard drive that was ordered from dell on my behalf is very low, only 80GB. The computer came with 40GB so that's worse. However, would it be ok to purchase a 320GB hard drive and install that? I want this thing to be a little better, but i don't wanna put too much into it since i'm gonna get a whole new system in February. The newer hard drive is new at Bestbuy and the one from dell is refurbished for a little more money. The computer is about 5 yrs old. I just want it to last a couple more months. The whole computer was ordered on my behalf from dell, as i wasn't quite sure what i was getting. I know now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

Make sure that the inerface is the same on the drives.
Since your system came with a 40 gig, I would bet that it is an IDE drive.
If the 320 is IDE you will be fine. Its new and cheaper

Were you planning on replacing the old drive or just using the new one for storage?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Tuberocity

Tuberocity

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

If you live in a big city, or near one, there are many mom & pop type shops that sell mainly at computer shows, but also have store fronts or in larger companies, warehouse based sales, and pickup. I get most of my computer stuff from these companies, and have never had a problem, and the prices are usually less, especially on hard drives. Look around, definitely get the 320, make sure u have the right type as stated above, and make sure it comes with or you already have the cables to hook it up. Also, on the new computer, if the old one is IDE as we suspect, make sure the new computer has an ide slot. Mine is mainly SATA, but they throw in the IDE for compatibility so I can use my old drives. DO NOT BUY THE REFURB! Cancel it, send it back, don't open it up. lol Less money for a larger, new, probably faster, and definitely more reliable drive, it's a no brainer! good luck to ya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users