Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reload XP. No Disks. Help.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SquizMan

SquizMan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

I have a Sony Vaio laptop that suffered a hard disk drive crash.
I have bought a new drive and installed it and went to find the disks that came with it and could not.
I have to load an operating system to use the laptop again.
Underneath the laptop I have the green "Windows XP Professional" Product Key.
Where can I get Windows XP to load from?
If I do, Does the Product Key work like a Lic Key and let me use it?
Or do I have to bite the bullet and go and buy some new disks from the computer shop?
Thanks for your help.
Gavin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

With XP having been out of production for some time, it would be difficult to purchase new installation media. But it is completely legitimate to re-install the same version of XP from any media you can organise to have the use of. So if you can borrow an OEM XP Professional CD from anyone, as long as it is a normal XP install CD, not a system restore CD tied to a specific computer, you should be able to install it using the key printed on the COA sticker, and activate it normally. You should be able to obtain drivers from the Sony support website - since XP probably won't have the right LAN drivers, you'll likely need to obtain the Sony drivers using another computer. Also if the XP is Service Pack 2 or lower, you should have the SP3 installer available (XP needs to also be at SP1A or higher to take SP3).

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users