Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh Evay!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rm2

rm2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

Using windows ME (for shame)......i have lost my sound card...have deleted in device manager and re-installed...device manager says the card is working properly...direct x diagnostic says no sound card...audio tab on the sound manager shows no audio...area is grayed out for any type of input...speaker connections are ok and checked....when i boot my computer i can hear sound (hum) coming from the speaker, but when windows loads there is a click and no sound.......have updated the drivers for the card.....
2. When loading a game patch i lost my main cdrom drive...the game maker has said they have a downloadable rts.dll file, which i downloaded, to correct the problem...however this download has not done squat. I am running my cd programs from my cdrw, which loads the programs fine...how can an rts.dll error make a drive unusable??? if there is an error in the program i don't think i should be able to run the program from another cd drive...again have deleted and re-installed programs and drives and patches.
3.. I am in the process of asking John Madden for big Ace Hardware sledge hammer.
4. I know i should go to xp, but some of my old favorite programs will not run on xp
5. microsoft in the head....has done zero to help...they should be an insurance company..get your premiums and then when you have a problem...disappear! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:36 AM

Dear rm2,

Sounds like you have a sound problem. :thumbsup:

No problem. This is what I want you to do. Delete all software associated with your sound card and shut down your computer.

Pull your sound card out and restart computer. If your computer starts up fine, run your computer management program. Confused? You should have some form of Norton, System Mechcanic, Zone Labs and etc. to clean your computer. Once that is done, shut down your computer and re-install your sound card.

Windows should see the sound card and prompt you to comply. Follow your sound card instructions at this point.

Hope that works, let us know.

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 rm2

rm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

Ok, will do, however, i found the read me file for the analog device/sound max card i have for audio....it said i had to get windows sp1 update...went to micrsoft site and got it, when i tried to run it, got a error message saying i was missing the clausapp.dll file...what is that?
2. prior to reading you message i popped the cover off the computer to look around...put it back on and when i re-booted it re-detected the sound card and prompted the re-installation, which i did..no sound..the speakers "pop" when i boot the computer, and when windows loads i can hear another pop, as in, i think, adios sound...when i first had the problem with the sound i heard a stutter or scratch in the program i was running....could i have any programs/memory/whatever/that are not allowing the allocation of ram/memory/whatever to run the sound??.. :blink:Thanks

Edited by rm2, 03 December 2005 - 01:19 PM.

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:04 AM

Dear rm2,

Do you have a Norton, System Mech, or something to clean your computer? I use System Mechcanic 6, real nice...blows the competition away! It's made by islo. You need some sort of cleaner.

Now that I said that, please follow the advice I gave you in the previous post. Trust me! Oh, make sure you have nothing sound related attached when you do it. Updating Windows will not fix your problem. Yours lies in your system.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 rm2

rm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

ok ....the analog sound card is hard wired.......took the lid off...only two occupied slots are the 3d card and the modem card.............have deleted the sound driver sound max, as i said, and re-installed/de-fragged/run scan disk/registry cleaner/so maybe the computer bawanas are telling me get the cash out for a real sound card??? The closest thing to sys utility i have is a reg scan program.... :thumbsup:

Edited by rm2, 05 December 2005 - 01:15 PM.

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:51 PM

Dear rm2,

Again delete all sound card files. Shut down computer. Pull soundcard. Restart computer and go into your BIOS. This is easy. When your computer restarts hit the delete button or it maybe F2 or F6 or F8 depends on your mother board. It should say when you restart, if you miss it just restart again.

Once in BIOS section, look in each section for onboard sound card or SoundMax. You want to disable the onboard sound. Then ESC out and save.

Once you have done this let you computer restart on its own. Now install the new sound card CD into drive and follow instructions. When it is done it will prompt you to shut down computer and install the sound card.

Something to remember! A lot of programs start up at Windows start up but don't need too. This may affect any new programs trying load new settings.

When you load new programs some will ask you to restart. This enable's them to sync in to your system but if you have 6 start up programs they could get confused. Simple translation.

Clean up your startup folder in your Start Programs menu before you do any of this.

Let us know,

Your Hardware Guide.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:10 PM

Dear rm2,

You don't have a sound card? Damn so sorry...I thought you had a sound card. You have onboard sound and thats a different story.

Disregard my previous post. Your trouble lies in software. One of the other programs you have installed/downloaded has conflicted with your onboard sound or worse you lost that part of your mother board. The last is doubtful.

Many programs could do this, Window's Media Player could conflict with Real One player or Apple's Quicktime/iTunes and etc.

This section is hardware, you would be best to post on the software side of Bleepingcomputer as well.

I can help you as well but my technical experience mostly lies in hardware.

Let me know,

Your Hardware Guide.

#8 rm2

rm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:49 PM

When i lost the sound card i had loaded a game patch from the manufactureer's web site....i have asked for help from them and they do nothing...............so i will go to the software side and see, again i get no conflicts when i run device manager or error messages,,,,,,,thanks for the try.......... :thumbsup:

#9 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

Dear rm2,

What game and what patch?

That's most likely your problem.

Go into the game and check the options page. I bet it's set on a higher audio then you have. Go to a lower audio setting and restart your computer.

It can also mean you accidently hit a button saying to use some other sound program. Check your BIOS to see if your onboard sound is Enabled.

Lots of viruses could disable your sound as well. Best to run a anti-virus program now! If you downloaded a patch without protection...bad news.

We will help,

Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users