Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total newbie can't set up network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jessie19

jessie19

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hello!

I'm thankful for this great resource.

Here is my situation:

- I have a Windows XP laptop connected via ethernet cable to my wireless router (which is connected via ethernet cable to the cable router from my ISP)
- I have a Windows XP latop which connects to the internet wirelessly through the wireless router. The laptop is a netbook with no optical drive.

The wireless router is made by "my essentials."

I want to connect the computers so I can share files between the two.

I've searched the internet up and down but I haven't been able to find out how to do this. Is this a home network that I'm trying to set up? Does the netbook have to connect through the PC or something?

I've run Network Setup Wizard on both computers. I named the workgroup "123" on both when prompted. Then I restarted the computers. But after restarting nothing happened. I'm still not able to share anything.

Help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:07 AM

Yes you are trying to setup a network.

What firewall do you have enabled on the computers? When prompted at the end of the network setup wizard, did you choose to share any specific folders? It should have marked the "Shared Documents" folder to be shared by default, however right click a folder you want to share -> go to properties -> sharing/security -> look for something around there about sharing that on a network. I assume you're checking for the shared files in My Network Places -> The other PC ?

Are you getting any errors?

**Sorry in advance if my "wording" isn't perfect, I haven't used XP in a bit - I've been on Windows Vista/7 for about 2 years. But oddly I still remember the basics in setting up XP.

#3 jessie19

jessie19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thanks

When I go into My Network Places I don't see the other PC at all, on either computer.

#4 King1987

King1987

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

Follow these directions here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/share.mspx

This should solve it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users