Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot or show video

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sporkman101

sporkman101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

All right my system specs are AMD single core CPU. Onboard video. 1gb of ram. Dvd burner and a sata HD. I have had this computer for about 2 years now and decided to open it up to clean it out. I only removed the CPU heatsink and blew it out and when I put it back and hit the power button all the fans and HD start, but no beeps (POST) or video to be seen. I have already checked all the connections and tried unplugging the DVD drive to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is that you have removed the heat sink and fan assembly from the CPU which means that you will need to clean the surface of the heat spreader of the CPU and the heat sink and then reapply the thermal compound which was installed between the two.

The thermal compound is important as it provides a molecular bond between the CPU and the heat sink which enhances the thermal convection increasing the cooling of the CPU.

The second thought is did you bend any of the pins of the CPU when you plugged it back in?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sporkman101

sporkman101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

I reapplied some thermal compound when I put it back on and none of the pins got bent.

#4 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

Im agreeing with dc3 on the CPU front for your immediate issue.

It sounds as if you didn't remove the CPU?
It may be booting and not have a good thermal contact on the CPU heat-sink, check and recheck.
Being an AMD check the cpu hasn't been crushed/warped either, being that the heat-sinks do require a level of trickery to install flat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users