Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD-ROM drive is not in boot order list...?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hi, this is my first post to these forums. I have been trying to fix my desktop computer for quite a while now and thought I'd ask you guys for some help. I am no sure if something is wrong with my hard drive or not. Anyways here is where I am at, I first went into my bios to change the boot order to boot from my cdrom, an when i did, the only thing listed in the order is the Hard Drive and the floppy drive. This seemed odd to me because my cdrw drive works perfectly fine. It burns cd's and dvds fine, and it runs any cd i put into it.

When i put in my windows XP cd to try and format the hard drive and do a fresh install of windows, it just loads windows as normal. It doesn't boot from the cd like it should. Since it won't boot from the cd, I can't delete the partition and install a new one. Any ideas why i the cdrom drive isn't in the bios boot order? Thanks.

Also, my computer is pretty old, but it has worked for a long time and never had one problem with it.
AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.0Ghz
1GB DDR
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

The hard drive is about 7-8 years old. That's why I am wondering if it is dying and i just need to purchase another one (as cheap as I could find) just to keep the computer running.

Edited by Spaniel1287, 07 December 2010 - 02:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

If the optical drive is reflected in the main BIOS screen...then it shouod be among the boot options.

If iu's not reflected on the main BIOS screen, then I would check all connections.

I would replace the CMOS battery (first step) anytime I had hardware recognition problems.

Louis

#3 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Does it show up in your one time boot menu? (the one you can access during bootup, not the bios list)

#4 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Yup, it does show up on a flash screen during the boot up process, has the model number and everything about the cdrw drive. But, when I go into my bios, i can't find any cdrom drive whatsoever.

#5 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

well you should be able to boot from it then from the one time boot menu (if your goal is to run the XP install) rather than changing the bios settings. But that only furthers the mistery of why it doesn't show in your bios.

#6 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

Exactly. However there is another problem right there. My cdrw drive works perfectly fine. I put in a dvd or cd and it reads and can write fine. Now, if i pop in my windows xp disc, and turn off the computer, then turn it back on, it doesnt boot from the cd. No screen shows up saying "press any key to boot from cd". Why would it do that? So therefore, i can't even put in a cd to boot from cd on startup.

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

You need to find which key brings up your boot menu (Not the setup menu). It varies by system/manufacturer. Sometimes it is Esc, or F2, F12, etc. your initial boot screen should tell you what key to press, but it can be hard to see because the screen is not up very long. It may take several attempts before you can read all of the options. If you have a user manual for your system it may also tell you which key to use.

Edited by PolaBar, 07 December 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#8 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

No, i know how to bring up my boot screen. I know how to get into my bios. The problem is that my cdrw drive is not in my bios anywhere, and especially not in the "boot order" screen. I can't even try to change the cdrw drive to boot first, because it isnt even in the list.

Would this anyway be related to my hard drive? It is an 8 yr old hard drive. But i am not sure why the cdrw drive not being in the boot order list in my bios would change if i got a new hard drive? I found this hard drive, pretty cheap, i just want something to keep the computer running.

http://3btech.net/whlamadate32.html

Edited by Spaniel1287, 07 December 2010 - 04:47 PM.

#9 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Well, I'm confused. When I asked if it showed up in your one time boot menu, you said yes.

can you post a screen shot of your boot menu?

#10 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

i don't know how to do that. When i turn on the computer, my ASUS motherboard logo screen comeson, then right after that a black screen comes on and it says my cdrw drive. also, the drive works perfectly fine when im loaded into windows. just can't figure out why its not in the bios boot order list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users