Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recording - buzzing, left channel only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pareeeee

Pareeeee

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

Hello

I am trying to record a CD of me playing my digital piano for my Grandparents for Christmas. I'm using Audacity. I need to get this working ASAP!!! I'm experiencing two problems.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit OS

I'm sure I've used Line-In in the past, but I am only getting the left channel to work. I know it's NOT audacity that's the problem, I have it set to record stereo. It doesn't matter what program I use. I still get mono.

When I hit a key on my piano, only sound comes from the left speaker on my computer. If I plug into the microphone jack, I get sound out of both speakers?! What's going on?

So, I would use the mic jack, BUT...

When I plug it in the mic jack, everything sounds fine. Piano sound coming from both speakers. I go to record in Audacity, and it records...nothing. Only way it will record is if I turn on analog recording gain in my soundcard settings. There's a catch - when I turn on rec gain I get a loud buzzing sound!!!

So I CAN'T record with either one!!!! Both of them get the buzz when I turn on gain, but Audacity won't record without gain. Line-in will only record left speaker....PLEASE HELP ME!

I've tried using both the line-out and mic jacks on my piano. Makes no difference.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Awaiting replies...
~Pareeeee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

Without any details of what connectors and cable type you're using, my first guesses would be either the cable has a mono 3.5mm plug at the computer end instead of a stereo one;
Posted Image
or if it definitely is stereo like above, the right channel cable has a break or the computer line in socket has a faulty right channel contact. For the buzzing on the mic input (which will always give poorer quality anyway), is the cable a fully shielded audio cable? For example, if you've adapted a headphone cable, it might just be unshielded wires, which will pick up mains hum.

Edited by Platypus, 07 December 2010 - 04:52 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

Also, if you're using the Mic input with a source that's not a microphone, you might need a pre-amplifier. That would explain the low level, and your need to boost the gain. It might also explain the buzz, since you're probably amplifying the 60 Hz (Canada and US) AC hum in the system.

But if time is critical (and a few dollars can be spent) the absolute quickest solution might be to hop on down to an Electronics/Entertainment store and pick up a USB "sound card" that provides a proper "line in" option, and a cable. Since we know Audacity is recording both channels, this should work.

(Of course, when you have the time you'll want to properly troubleshoot this problem!) :thumbup2:

Edited by Capn Easy, 07 December 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,158 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

Also, if you're using the Mic input with a source that's not a microphone, you might need a pre-amplifier.

Actually it would be the other way 'round. Using the Line input with a Mic (or Mic level) signal would need a pre-amp.

#5 Pareeeee

Pareeeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

Platypus, it's a stereo plug like the lower one in your photo. I got the mic one working, fiddled around for a while and the sound is ok. It will do if I can't get the line-in to work.

I would rather record with line-in though, if at all possible. I wish there was a way to fix it so it would stop being in just the left speaker.
~Pareeeee

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,158 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:57 AM

Line In would give the better recording. Unless you can test the cable with a meter, some process of elimination can determine where the fault exists. Obviously you could try the cable on another computer. The tip of the 3.5mm plug is the left connection, and also the one the Mic uses, so if the right channel lead has a broken wire, that could be why the line in left channel and the Mic in both work. If the cable tests OK, that would suggest a problem with the right channel of the sound card. Capn Easy's suggestion of a USB audio interface is a good way around that. I've used a Behringer UCA202, something like that is effective and inexpensive.

#7 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

Actually it would be the other way 'round.

DOH! :oopsign:

(I haven't touched a mic in ages.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users