Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wolfcanislupus

wolfcanislupus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

I am currently running Microsoft Essentials on my home computer.Is there a recomendation for a better antivirus software. My os is windows xp.

Thanks,
Wolfcanislupus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

MSE is just as good as any other free alternative. Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

However an anti-virus is not enough and should be supplemented with trusted security tools like:
No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 wolfcanislupus

wolfcanislupus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

Thank you quietman7, got some good info to read and think about your resonse was excellent. I have tried alot of differant antivirus programs even in the cloud Panda. I do have both Malawarebytes and Superantispyware. My wife has a laptop os windows 7 and she got Antimalware Doctor on her system and tried using Malawarebytes in safe mode and did not work so used combofix and that did work.Once again thanks for the info.

Wolfcanislupus

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

I'm glad to hear you were successful in dealing with the infection.

However, please be aware that no one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

You were fortunate in this instance that no unforeseen consequences or serious problems occurred.

#5 wolfcanislupus

wolfcanislupus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

Quietman7,
Once again thanks for the advice! I know I just dodged a Big Bullet. I read the link you sent to me about combofix and I just got lucky. My wifes laptop is a 64 bit computer. Our office network engineers recomended combofix and one of our staff tried it on her computer at home with sucess,again I guess just dumb luck was involed in that it worked. I will be more reliant on "bleeping computers" when seeking a solution to my computer problems! My computer is os XP my son has Vista and my wife has Windows 7 64 bit. I am hopeful that I will be getting a windows 7 soon.

Thank you very much for all the advice,help and all the infomation to read and think about and by the way how would you have fixed that problem with Antimalware Doctor infection on my wifes computer?

Wolfcanislupus

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

You're welcome.

There are no guarantees or shortcuts when it comes to malware removal, especially when dealing with backdoor Trojans, Botnets, IRCBots and rootkits that can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Security vendors that claim to be able to remove rootkits and backdoor Trojans cannot guarantee that all traces of it will be removed as they may not find all the remnants.

Rogue security programs which use social engineering and scams to trick a user into spending money to buy a bogus application that claims to remove malware can be problematic as they can also download rootkits and backdoor bots. This means infections will vary and some will cause more harm to your system than others as backdoor Trojans not only compromise your system, they have the ability to download even more malicious files. Since infections and severity of damage will vary, it may take several efforts with different, the same or more powerful tools to do the job. Even then, with some types of malware infections, the task can be arduous.

Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

Whenever a system has been compromised by a backdoor payload, it is impossible to know if or how much the backdoor has been used to affect your system...There are only a few ways to return a compromised system to a confident security configuration. These include:
• Reimaging the system
• Restoring the entire system using a full system backup from before the backdoor infection
• Reformatting and reinstalling the system

Backdoors and What They Mean to You

This is what Jesper M. Johansson at Microsoft TechNet has to say: Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?.

The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and rebuild. That’s right. If you have a system that has been completely compromised, the only thing you can do is to flatten the system (reformat the system disk) and rebuild it from scratch (reinstall Windows and your applications).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users