Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rkill - stuck at "Please be patient."

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sbraughton

sbraughton

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

I'm attempting to remove a "Antivirus Action" which has made one of my Vista machines unusable. I've successfully removed other malware using rkill and mbam in the past.

Problem: I run Rkill and it stays at "Please be patient." for hours without ending.

1. I'm running in Safe Mode with Networking (after downloading required files, I've tried in plain Safe Mode also).
2. I'm running rkill as administrator (Vista Home Premium 32).
3. I've used rkill.exe with many different names. All get stuck at the same spot.
4. If I kill the cmd window, and restart rkill, I receive an error stating the process is in use. Have to reboot to start rkill again.

Questions:
1) How do I know if rkill is actually doing anything at all?
2) If there is no way to know the rkill status, how long is the maximum time it will take to run? (I've let it run for around 3 hours without success.)
3) If rkill will not work, is there an alternative process I can use to get "Antivirus Action" off my PC (other than a wipe & reinstall of Windows)?

Edited by sbraughton, 07 December 2010 - 11:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

Hello, restart the computer so RKill is stopped. Everytime you reboot RKill must be reran. It should only take 5 minutes.,but sometimes it needs to be run several time. Let's try it this way as there are some other needed steps.

Please follow our Removal Guide here Remove Antivirus Action (Uninstall Guide) .
You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sbraughton

sbraughton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

I am following the steps, in order, listed in the "Antivirus Action" uninstall guide.

Following the 'automated removal instructions' on your link, I get to step 5. At this point rkill will not complete. Rkill (iExplore, eXplorer, uSeRiNiT, etc.) will not get past "Please be patient." even if I wait many hours.

*** I have also tried to skip step 5 and do steps 6-17. I do that and try to run Rkill again but, again, Rkill won't complete. If I reboot, the malware returns.

If these steps are not correct, please provide the correct removal instructions.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

Hi, is this XP? Can you do a System restore to a date before the infection and try the guide again?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 boduzapho

boduzapho

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

same for me....

win 7 x64

wont complete..

Me thinks they found a weakness in rkill

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

Ok, I asked and the tool is fine, if we cannot proceed by skipping RKill, then we need to try posting a DDS log.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users