Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had a feeling PC build project would keep costing me, initial startup question also

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

I built my own PC for the first time and fired it up last night. All the hardware and components seem to be in working order.

1. But what is the very first CD you insert? Is it the motherboard support CD with drivers? Or is installing the operating system the very first thing I should do on a new hard drive?

2. Whenever I tried to use the Asus motherboard drivers CD, the Asus screen would flash briefly. Then it looked like it went into a DOS command promt screen that dead-ended. Am I supposed to hit F8 or delete to bypass the POST and go into the BIOS setup?

3. I can't install my OS anyway because all I have is a Windows XP Pro update CD. It won't install because it can't detect a previous Windows OS on the new hard drive. And I don't have the previous operating system CD because I had a bundled deal that included pre-installed OS. I'm trying to get Microsoft to just send me a complete free Windows XP Pro CD since I already paid the equivalent.

Please don't tell me I have to pay upwards of $400 to buy Windows 7. Is there a cheap way I can just get the XP Pro CD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

If it came preinstalled, then all you should have to do is turn on the computer and it should boot up to windows. If it doesn't-then there may be othere issues. What exactly does it do when you turn it on?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

It came preinstalled on the old PC. So I have no CD ther than the XP upgrade. I am just going to to get the cheapest Windows 7 for $99.

#4 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

What you first need to do is get an OS on there, then when you're logged on, get to the internet (hopefully you have an adapter, etc.) and install all Windows updates. You will never use the CD that came with your motherboard or other parts; you're going to to to their website and download the driver/firmware/utilities from there. Just search the motherboard on their website and it should list appropriate downloads for the product. Same deal with your other hardware. Good luck! And congrats on the 1st build :-)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

1. Congrats on your new PC. You should not have to install any of the contents of the motherboard CD, most of it is optional or in case something goes wrong. Most of the essential drivers and such are on the Windows DVD. It will install the drivers. If it cannot find the drivers, then you may need the motherboard disc, but that is rare. You should install Windows first.

2. You should, when you for the first time boot up the PC, go into the BIOS and make sure the dates and settings are set properly before installing the OS.

3. Windows update media needs a valid copy of Windows installed before updating, good luck getting Microsoft to send you a copy of the OS. It may be simplier to just purchase an OEM copy of Windows 7 for $100. Windows XP will leave support entirely in April 2014, and updating Windows XP to 7 requires a complete reinstall. DirectX 10 and 11 are also not available for Windows XP. In terms of licensing, I'm not sure if you can move an upgrade install of Windows to a new PC.

3939.png

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:40 AM

It came preinstalled on the old PC. So I have no CD ther than the XP upgrade. I am just going to to get the cheapest Windows 7 for $99.

OEM Windows pre-installed belongs with the old PC, and is not transferrable to a new computer. Getting the current OEM Windows for the new computer is the right way to go.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hey, thanks!

I already ordered Windows 7 Home Premium for system builders from Newegg. Should be coming any day now

#8 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

well, you could have installed the win98 hard drive in the new pc, and the xp upgrade cd would have recognized that as proof of an old version. it may overwrite the win98 partition on the old drive, or it may allow you to install xp on the new, empty drive, but if it does the former, you can always ghost the old drive with the xp install over to a new, empty drive.

as far as the driver cd goes, it should be installed, in most cases, after windows installed. in *other* cases, when there are drivers on the mobo cd that are required for widows installation (usually raid drivers), what you have to do is to make a custom windows install cd, with the special mobo drivers included along with contents of the original winxp install disk. this, however, is rarely necessary- as most of the mobo drivers will already be on the winxp install disk, and usually those drivers that are not on the winxp disk can be installed after windows install is complete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users