Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking Internet connection for single user

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:39 AM

Hi guys,

Wow a lot has changed since I last logged in, anyways I'm needing a bit of help today.

Running:
Windows 7 Ultimate, 32bit (fully licensed).
3Gb DDR2 RAM.
AMD Sempron 3400+ 1,80Ghz.

I have a media center setup in my living room that I use as a Home Theater, I also use it from time to time for general PC usage etc.

I have two user profiles 'PC' - for normal PC stuff and 'Media Center' - which runs WMC for movies/music etc.

What I'm wanting to do is stop all network connections on the 'Media Center' user profile but keep access on the 'PC' profile.

The reason for this is on the 'Media Center' profile I want to be able to run as little as possible, eg no Comodo/Avira Antivirus etc so that I have as nothing running that i don't need for playing movies (if you get me? basically cutting out all the c**p)

Just blocking access to programs is not enough as I don't want to not have firewall/anti virus running if there's still a chance that someone/something can access through the internet connection.

Unplugging cables is not an option as built into a media cupboard under the stairs.
Disabling and Enabling LAN connection is a pain and there must be a workaround for what I want. :)

I have searched but have been unable to find the answer anywhere so far.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

E-Mu
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

After a few quick searches, I found a program that sounds like it'll do what you're looking to do:
http://www.devicelock.com/dl/faq.html#9

If I'm reading your post correctly, this sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

Source - http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1581821.php
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users