Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a second hard disk drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Edcondi

Edcondi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

My current hard drive is 38 GB and RAM is about 1GB + 256 MB. I am wish to add a second hard disk drive to my Dell Dimension 2400 PC, which is about 8 years old and runs Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. I'd be most grateful for your kind suggestions on where to get a suitable hard drive and help and advice on installing it in my PC. Thanks for your kind consideration and help.

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2010 - 01:19 PM.
Moved from DOS/PDA to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

According to Dell your case only has one space to mount an internal hard drive which is used by youe current system drive. The drive type is IDE (either 100 or 133 will work). Since the main drive is so old and you only have one slot to mount an internal drive I would recommend replacing the old drive completely. Without knowing your budget I can't recommend a size but the largest IDE I have found recently is a 500GB. You can use imaging software to transfer all of your existing files over to the new drive.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

Another alternative would be to use an external hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

I would get an external enclosure or IDE/SATA USB converter/adapter (available on newegg.com) to use a 1 or 2 terabyte SATA drive with, this could be used for storage/backup for your current PC, as well as a future PC which I recommend buying next year sometime after the new intel processors are released.

alternatively, baltboy's suggestion (replacement w/ a bigger, better PATA drive) is a good one considering your current drive is likely near the end of its life. also if you eventually found a used PC better than your current one, this newer IDE could be installed into that too!

Edited by yorkred, 08 December 2010 - 05:22 PM.

#6 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FmujSrN0BLIDNc7pmKBsKYD

Thank you for your kind help.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:40 AM

Your motherboard has 2 IDE Ports. So this is what you do:

1) Set the drive you have in there currently as Primary Master using the jumper on the hard drive.

2) Set the new drive you want as secondary Slave using the jumper.

3) Set the cd-rom as Master on the second hard drive IDE port.

Posted Image

In the picture above your hard drives will be connected to the white IDE Slot using a 80 pin cable. Your CD-ROM should be connected to the Black one.

You can remove your floppy drive if you do not use it, and use that slot for your second hard drive. That is another option as opposed to getting an external enclosure. You could then get an external USB Floppy if needed.

Edited by cryptodan, 11 December 2010 - 03:45 AM.

#8 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Thank you very much for your most kind and detailed help. These instructions really help me take a further interest in the PC. Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users