Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell E520 Boot issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paragon68

paragon68

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

I have a Dell e520, I recently upgraded my PSU to a Antec Earthwatts 500 watt, 4GB crucial DDR2 800MHz, A second HDD Western Digital 500GB caviar blue and a Gigabyte GT240 1GB video card I also added an Antec 3 speed 80mm case fan for extra cooling to resolve my heat issue. When its on it works perfect, but when I try to start it, it will attempt to boot but the amber light on the power button stay on and it wont power on it takes 2 or 3 attempts to power it on. It sounds like it going to boot but the fans spin up and it just basically shuts off with the exception of the amber colored power button. Im stumped, anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Please confirm that this is your computer.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_E520

Other helpful information.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362110&isLegacy=true

Please note: (My personal computer is running Windows 7, this page at the link above mentions Windows 7 on my computer.
I am not sure if it is because the Dell web site recognizes the fact that I have Windows 7. I do realize you have Windows XP.
If for any reason the link above is referenced to Windows 7, please click the link on that page that says "click here to change operating system" which is in blue lettering.) This change the reference to Windows XP

There are articles on this page that should help assist you in determining what is causing this issue.

If the problem persists, you should double check that your data cables are secure and making good contact with their connections.

Intermittent issues like this can sometimes be caused by a connection to which is NOT making 100% contact with its metallic mating surface. I have seen hard drive data cable connections that looked secure and making full contact, but the computer exhibited issues such as yours. The IDE/PATA data cable connecter was not making a full electrical contact with its mating surface. This was corrected by disconnecting and reconnecting the plug into its socket.

The most likely cause was oxidation build up on the metal surfaces, but may have also been because the connection was not as tight as it is supposed to be.

If the problem still persists after those attempts have been tried, I would try resetting your BIOS, there are two ways to do this.

One way, is to enter your BIOS setup utility and choose an option from the main BIOS menu related to loading setup defaults. Save and exit the utility.

Most motherboards have a jumper on them, the most common name for this jumper is CLR-CMOS, but it can be labled differently for various motherboard makers.

This jumper should NOT be used while the CMOS back-up battery is still in its holder, because it can short the battery out!!!

For precationary issues please do the following:

Please disconnect the PSU from the AC outlet!

Please discharge your bodys electrical source (static electricity) to a known well grounded metal source first.

Keep one hand on the computers metal case at all times while working inside the computer case!

Remove the CMOS battery observing how it was installed, it has to go back in the same way.

Move the CLR-CMOS jumper over to pins 2 and 3 and wait 60 seconds, longer is Okay.

Return the CLR-CMOS jumper back to pins 1 and 2.

Return the CMOS battery back to its holder same as it was before you removed it.

Re-connect the AC power cord.

Power up the computer.

Please boot to your BIOS setup utility first!!

Once in your BIOS please correct the time and date, as those should now be incorrect and need to be corrected.

Auto-detect all your hardware such as hard drives and optical drives.

Check SATA0 SATA1 Etc.

Check PRIMARY MASTER, PRIMARY SLAVE, SECONDARY MASTER Ect.

Once everything seems in order, save the changes by hitting the F10 key on keyboard, this will save the settings and exit.

Please test drive the system and please post back the results either good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 December 2010 - 04:20 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 paragon68

paragon68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

After some investigation I found that the solid amber power button indicates a power issue. The mother board has two bulging capacitors so Im thinking that could contribute to the problem or most likely be the main cause. Ive tested a brand new 650 watt Cooler Master with the same results, thinking it was a lack of power issue, but my other custom sytem uses that Antec 500 watt with two SATA drives two ROM drives 1GB gt240 graphics card and 4 case fans including a 25cm led fan. So now Im going to 86 the mobo, case and cpu to the recycling bin and get a Gigabyte mobo and a phenom x4 3GHz with a nice lian li case. I am an A+ tech that has in my 10 years of repairing computers have never seen anything good come from Dell. (over priced crap) Anyway, thank you for your advise. its nice to have people to double check with on issues that I have seen only once or twice before. Ill be sure to avoid dell in the future and steer my customers clear of purchasing or upgrading that product.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated and voicing your personal opinion on this product.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users