Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail Relay Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

I had a Centos server that was set up to relay any emails it received from sendmail to my exchange server (the linux server is in the DMZ and the exchange server in the internal network). Since then my linux server fell over and I've been trying to reconfigure it.

I've followed countless guides online 'how to relay email to ISP using *insert favourite mail server here*' but none seem to work.

Can anyone shed some light?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

Can you post some more information such as where you originally got your mail server set up?

What mail daemon are you using like Exim, Postfix, QMail, or Sendmail?

Post some of your config files hiding login credentials if there are any listed?

What do you mean by the server fell?

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Can you post some more information such as where you originally got your mail server set up?

The network configuration (I'm assuming is what your wanting) is still exactly the same. I have a modem that is connected to my smoothwall in bridge mode then my smoothwall has a DMZ which the webserver is located in and an Internal network which my Exchange server is in. I have allowed port 25 through my smoothwall (DMZ <--> Internal) from my webserver to exchange server.

What mail daemon are you using like Exim, Postfix, QMail, or Sendmail?

I originally set up the server using sendmail using a similar config to this: link.

I have a SMART_HOST of mail.gunners.com.au and in my hosts file i have an entry for mail.gunners.com.au and the external IP as my webserver won't be able to resolve an IP inside the network.

The hostname of the webserver is webserver.gunners.com.au, all i'm wanting it to do is forward all mail it receives to the exchange.

Post some of your config files hiding login credentials if there are any listed?

My config file is pretty much the same as the one mentioned above (for sendmail). I'm using apache webserver and have a contact page where php sends the mail to the local MTA (which was sendmail) and then sendmail forwards it to exchange and then onward.

Postfix I tried this config link.

I don't have to authenticate with the exchange server as I have setup a connector on my 2008 Exchange server for anonymous relaying through my mailserver as all the mail it should be sending is internal.

What do you mean by the server fell?

My server died. A HDD died and unfortunately the RAID was out of sync. So I had to rebuild it all from scratch with sendmail being the last bit. Is there any free software that can monitor my HDD's, databases and apache (http requests and attempts at hacking)?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

Have you made sure to setup your LDAP Queries in Sendmail to look up users in Exchange?

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

Turns out there was nothing wrong with my sendmail config, all I had to do was install sendmail add the smart_host to mail.gunners.com.au and then in /etc/hosts add [internal IP address] mail.gunners.com.au

I'd forgotten to click anonymous relay on the exchange server. duh...

Thanks for all your help :lol:

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

Well at least asking the questions I did got you to check other configs hehe. Happy relaying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users